Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

To everyone else who has tried to list things they're thankful for every day--are you noticing that there are quite a few things for which you don't feel thankful? I don't feel like an ungrateful individual most of the time, but this month is evidencing a lack of gratitude on my part.

Honestly,
I am not grateful that Brooklyn got a cold on Monday, sounded like a seal by Wednesday afternoon, and still sounds like a terribly croupy, sick baby. And I'm not grateful that Lucy woke up with a runny nose yesterday that has launched itself into a whopping cold, with a cough. Coughs portend asthmatic misery with Lucy quite often. And I'm not thankful that she kept me up almost all night last night at Jessica and Matt's house--when Brooklyn wasn't requiring attention--and that we had to go home from Delta early because of our sick kids. And I'm not grateful that I woke up this morning with a cold sore, and that there is an alarming bubble in our downstairs ceiling, just below the bathtub. I. am. not. thankful. for. any. of. that.

A lot of the lessons in church lately have been about being thankful for trials, which seems timely.

Since I am not at the spiritually elevated status of actually being thankful for my trials, I will move on to things for which I am thankful.

I'm so thankful that Brooklyn is mine. I love holding her and cuddling with her and loving her. I know I've already said that--it's still true):. I'm thankful that she slept through the night without being fed three times while in Utah. (That trend is of course obliterated now,but I need to push forward, focusing on the thankful stuff:)).

I'm thankful that my children went 7 months without being sick, and that Brooklyn made it 5 1/2 months before she got more than a runny nose.

I'm thankful that I got so much terrific one-on-one time with Isaac during this trip. He and I slept in the same room during the whole trip, but I also got to cheer for him on his new birthday bicycle, and read him stories, and tuck him at night. I loved all of it. I loved seeing his joy at the "pool party" at grandma's house--with all of the kids playing in the hot tub. I loved seeing him play so much ,and not even miss "shows" because he was having so much fun.

I am so thankful for the time I had with family during this trip. We saw my parents, siblings, nieces, and nephews, and saw Doug's dad and his sister, brother-in-law, and more of our nieces and nephews. We were welcomed so warmly into our family members' homes, and delighted in being with them. It was a wonderful trip, even with sick kids.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I love your post because I have kind of been gagging on some of the thankful posts all over FB lately. Thanks for keeping it real! I have a lot I am not thankful for lately and a lot that I am grateful for too!

Decker and Christine said...

I didn't know you have family in Delta! I do too! What a small world...and a small town. :) I'm not to a point where I'm grateful for trials, either. I'm glad you were still able to find things to be grateful for, though. It's awesome you can do that when things get rough. I hope your cute kiddos feel better soon!

Steven and Rylie said...

loved your family pictures. Reese got the dang coupy, cough, last week also. It was so sad, to hear her little cry and even her laugh because it was so quiet and hoarse. It made me grateful for a few things, a pump-because she didn't eat good, all her smiles-because I know she didn't feel good, and Brian-for being an awesome neighbor, slash MD consultant.