Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fruit Kabobs; Mr. Cling; "Play Dead"

Doug and I made fruit kabobs for the three-lady baby shower on Saturday morning (which was so fun!) and Amber taught me how to make an aesthetically pleasing fruit tray via stabbing watermelon-halves with the fruit kabobs. Very cool looking, and Amber will be proud to know that I actually plan on doing the kabob thing again, even the stabbing.

And today, I've made a mental appointment to spend quality time with "What to Expect: the Toddler Years" because Isaac has begun a difficult phase wherein he sobs uncontrollably if I ever leave. I was making trips downstairs to get grocery bags this afternoon and Isaac just stood pressed against the front door and cried until I came back. Then he buried himself in my legs and wailed like I'd purposefully abandoned him. Then he wanted to get "up". He mournfully walked (pressed against me) as I brought grocery bags into the kitchen and then I held him while I unloaded. Unfortunately, I needed to make three trips to the car for groceries, so you can imagine the immense sorrow involved.

I've read about this before: let the kid know you're leaving, say something like, "Later, gator!" and your kids feels like you have given him warning, you love him, and you'll be back. That worked until a few weeks ago, and now "parting is such sweet sorrow." Any tips would be welcome. I like working out at the Rec Center and putting Isaac in the daycare there, but the tears make it hard.

And what else? I graded a lot of quizzes today and it wasn't fun (why did I ever think that being a teacher would be "so cool" because I'd get to grade quizzes?!).

Doug and I passed out at around 8:15 last night--a definite first. We were doing a very casual FHE and Isaac started fussing in his crib. Doug takes that as the signal to make our home "play dead" so every light is turned off and Doug calls for silence. This time, rather than protest that we're catering too much to our child's whims, I fell asleep and so did Doug.

And a movie recommendation: I liked "Dan in Real Life"--I will say that the trailer gives too much away.

3 comments:

Allie said...

Fruit kabobs sound really cool. I have no tips for what to suggest during the "clingy" phase other than not to feel guilty and to not cater too much to it, because it seems to pass more quickly once your little one realizes that A) you will return and B) they cannot manipulate you. Also, have you heard about shelfari? It is a great way to list/recommend books on your blog. A bunch of my friends have added them to their blogs and it seems cool.

Kim Walker said...

The fruit kabobs were awesome, I didn't know that you made them. Thanks so much for the WONDERFUL shower you helped put on. You're great! I don't have any great advice because, honestly speaking, my girls have NEVER been clingy and not wanted to separate from either me or Derrel. Maybe that's a bad thing, hmmmmm. I'll get back to you on that one.

Mer Swift said...

It seems everybody likes "Dan in Real Life," but me. I don't know...it seems forced. I'm excited to see "Lars and the Real Girl." I'll let you know what I think.