My camera of 7 years passed away last night, but here are some memories it saved for me just before blacking out forever. We've got birthdays (for both Isaac, the 5-year-old, and Lucy, the 3-year-old), pictures of Brooklyn's blue eyes before they go to some type of hazel--Isaac's are greenish brown and Lucy's are dark grayish green--and a single road show picture that doesn't do justice to the cuteness of the young men and women in our ward.
Isaac's birthday was a lot of fun. We went to the dollar store so he could get 2 toys and a balloon--and Lucy could also get 1 toy and a balloon because we thought this was necessary to keep the day fun for everyone:). Then we picked up Daddy and headed to the classiest restaurant in Idaho Falls, McDonald's.
After some fun play time, kids got naps and we opened presents and had cupcakes and pancakes with bacon (Isaac's request). Throughout the day, Isaac kept telling me, 'Wow, I can't believe I have my very own orca whale!" Thank you, Dollar Tree. Also, Isaac didn't want to share toys on his birthday, and I told him he didn't have to...but he still decided to share his new dolphin toy with Lucy.
A note to Isaac: I love you, son. You bring pure sunshine and dazzling lights to every event, including grocery shopping and trips to the post office. You are my favorite person on earth with whom to go to the zoo. You are the sweetest reader--reading a few of the words each time we read together. You have always loved bringing two toys to bed at night, and haven't yet dropped that habit. You love playing with Brooklyn, and you've become a brave, adventurous boy in the pool and at the playground. You make the world a better place, and you always will. I will love you forever.
Lucy's birthday, yesterday, was not as much fun. She's still in an often-grumpy stage, where I feel like the clouds keep covering up her ability to be happy. Yesterday, we did most of the things she wanted to do--like watch shows, go to McDonald's as a family, get toys at the dollar store and in our family party, eat cupcakes, and let her play with her princesses. But she experienced a lot of dissatisfaction as well. There were several outfit changes before we went to McDonald's. There was sorrow regarding her hairstyle. There was sorrow when Daddy tried to make our family activity at night be watching the BYU football game. Even though there were stories, and there was a ton of patience and love sent her way, she still sounded grumpy as I tucked her in for bed. When I was her age, and had massive tantrums (which she thankfully does not have), I told my mom, "My body made me do it!" So we talk a lot about controlling our bodies in our house. I hope next year's birthday is better for her.
A note to Lucy: Lucy, you are the prettiest three-year-old I have ever seen. I'm sorry I didn't get more one-on-one time with you on the birthday, but I hope to make one-on-one time with you a priority every day. You thrive on it. When I showed you your brand-new booster seat yesterday, and you got to sit in it, your smile was so wide and beaming. You did such a good job blowing out the candles on your cupcakes, and I loved talking to you about your day before you went to bed on your birthday. I love that you are into dolls, and tucking them in, and wearing nightgowns and dresses--I didn't know I would get such a girly girl, and it's fun to watch. I love your nasal songs. Isaac has perfect pitch, so you guys sound so funny together. It doesn't matter that you are off-key. It only makes me love your confident singing more. You tell me all the time that you are going to get married in the temple in a beautiful dress, to a nice young man. Then, you will hold flowers just like Mommy and Isaac will say, "Yay, Lucy! Yay!" You dream beautiful dreams, and you are a beautiful girl. I am so thankful to be your mommy and I will love you forever.
I know this post is long, but can I resist writing to Brooklyn? You are correct.
Dear Brooklyn: I can't believe you're sitting up before you've learned to roll. I didn't know kids do that! You are currently on my lap, which is no surprise. You love to be held, and you love your mommy. We may not look anything alike, but you were absolutely meant to be mine. I love your huge smile, the way you start most "conversations" with "Guh..." and I love the cute whale spout on the top of your head. Will you please start sleeping through the night? I don't like feeding you twice a night and I REALLY have a hard time when it's 3 times (because we all know I'm not going to count 6:30 am as an acceptable wake-up time.) So please learn to sleep through the night. You win every time I try to sleep train you, and I acknowledge your determination. But please learn to sleep for longer periods of time, and don't make life miserable for all of us when I "actually" sleep train you, okay?
XXOO,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment