Monday, October 3, 2011

On The Wagon

I have never done several things in my life. I have never smoked. I have never had an alcoholic beverage (except when I accidentally had a sip of nasty wine at communion). I have also never gone to an activity and passed on dessert. Ever. Until last week.

Folks, I have jumped on the wagon called self-control. I will not be having treats for one whole week. I was already tested tonight when we went to our friends' house for family night and dessert. I explained that this is Day #1 on the wagon, so I would pass. The s'more was handed to me, and I passed it to Doug. I didn't offend my friends, they laughed at/with me, and I feel proud of myself!

I've been researching nutrition, researching how to eat well while breastfeeding, and I've concentrated my studies on .edu and .gov sites, like I encourage my students to do. My information chiefly comes from mypyramidtracker.gov and cdc.gov (center for disease control). So here is my plan of attack, inspired by cdc.gov:

My goal this week is to eat no treats and work out 5-6 times. The working out is already happening, but the treat thing is a brand-new phenomenon. Why am I writing this? Because I'm identifying you as a source of support:). Feel free to encourage me.

And for those of who think I am sucking all of the fun out of my life, 'tis not so. This will be a one-week event, at which point I will make a new goal for the week. I promise I'll have fun this week because... it's not a grading week! Wahoo!!!!!! I love when I'm not on a one-week deadline to grade 45 papers. I'll have that next week, and I had it last week, but this week, I can breathe and have down time.

6 comments:

lindsay said...

Good luck! I am so impressed. I think it would be hard for me to go a whole day without a treat. Let me know how it goes and send some self-control vibes this way!

MaryAnn said...

One day down! Good job on turning down the dessert at FHE. I went to a birthday party and turned up a cupcake then last night Dan had my favorite chocolate ice cream (but at least he went in the other room to eat it) so I am right there with you in resisting temptation. :) Thanks for helping me get motivated again.

Natalie said...

You are so brave to put it out there..... in writing!! Ray & I just completed a 2 week treat fast and I must admit, it was rough! But, we made it! Good luck and you can do it, but be prepared for a mild headache with your first treat after this week.....

BexxT said...

YAY self control! It's intense isn't it? I am only forcing myself to run 5 days a week right now regardless of how tired/sore I am... if I were still on the elimination diet for nursing I would want to die. Good luck Tara! I love ya!

The Qian Family said...

I'm encouraging you! That totally makes sense and I love the "one week at a time" approach!

Sandy White said...

Good for you!! I have been terrible with my diet lately since I seem to burn a ton of calories breastfeeding. However, because of Simon's birth defect/surgery he is more prone to constipation and has already had two terrible bouts based on what I was eating (eating a half gallon of ice cream in one weekend did it the first time). So, I am kind of forced to start eating more fruits and vegetables in my diet. Also--glad to hear that Doug is doing well and recovering. Hope you are doing OK with the kids. Take care!!