Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fighting Colds With Narcissism


The first word in my title better encapsulates what's been going on around here. My son is a mighty warrior in the battle against sleep. He's currently singing songs in his crib and it's 10:30 at night. Thank you, daylight savings, and thank you, toddlerhood.

I thought my first genuinely unkind thought about my kids yesterday one minute after I collapsed on my bed for a much-deserved rest. Lucy started fussing and I could hear Isaac bouncing on his bed. I was appalled to have an unkind thought about my children, but rather than sign myself up for therapy, I think I just need to grab more rest at night and pray for a little more endurance and patience.

Colds are not divine. They make for incessant coughing, nose-wiping, and worse manners. I just wish I could live my life--with my kids--in a vacuum of great health, interacting with others from inside our little healthy bubble. Or I wish God would smite disease with a curse:).

Lastly, I'll comment on Isaac's narcissistic pose. Look at the reverence with which Isaac looks at himself in the mirror. Then look at the book behind him, wherein Mary looks down at her little babe with the exact same look:).

I don't know that I'm cultivating great things in my home, my friends, and it's frustrating. I've had two years with my little boy and he isn't perfectly obedient?! But I've invested so much time. If any of you have been to the Thanksgiving Point dinosaur museum, let me just shamefacedly admit that my son walked through the raised irrigation tubs. I have never seen anyone else do that. Maybe because their parents caught them before they could walk on water. But I was busy giggling with my sister and friends from Virginia, so I missed him climbing up and I missed those first unprecedented steps.

I read about toddlerhood today, and I'm hoping to be patient with myself as we figure the terrible twos and daylight savings out together.

1 comment:

Allie said...

At Enrichment meeting tonight everyone was supposed to write a tip that began with the line: Why didn't anyone ever tel me...

One person wrote

...that there would be times I would want to love and strangle my child at the same time.

Welcome to toddlerhood as the mother of more than one child. I'll let you know when it starts to get easier (if it ever does)...