Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Not Feeling So Hot, Nesting Away, Little Surprizes

All it takes is getting a little sick to remember that LOOKING good doesn't really matter to me as much as FEELING good.

Isaac and I have got some sort of a bug... I think. He has had a really sore bum for the last several days (not that I know this from first hand experience, but the rash looks like it hurts) and Doug thinks I need to do better about giving the little boy solid foods so his bowel movements aren't so acidic. Sigh... I know Isaac needs to eat better, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to go to the lame length of sitting him in his high chair in front of a movie all the time just to shovel food into his mouth. Doug's willing. I only am occasionally because I shy away from wretched habits (Alex, I'm trying to adopt your tone in that last phrase, like when you talked about practicing being classy:)).

Also, Isaac has been waking up crying during the night, usually with a messy diaper. Again, I hate bad habits, so I don't want to go to him (or let Doug go) every time he cries out at night. With the sore bum, though, I'm making concessions and letting Doug check on him. Last night, Isaac woke up crying three times, once with a messy diaper. So I'm tired and I hope the crying out goes away, as does the poopy diaper problem at night. ASAP.

This morning, Isaac cuddled with me in my bed for way longer than usually, then finally asked for milk, downed it, and promptly spit some up. So I'm thinking things just aren't right with his little tummy.

And I feel like I'm in my first trimester, living the nauseous life. I didn't know if I could handle watching Isaac alone today and Doug's kind of been on-call throughout the day. But I feel tolerable now--we've made it to 4:40 p.m., largely thanks to a nice long nap (still ongoing) on Isaac's part.

Another not-so-fun event that doesn't work well with my make-no-changes in Isaac's routine game plan is that Isaac crawled out of his crib for the first time yesterday during nap time. I'm not ready for him to have a big-boy bed because I love his naps too much. And I know he needs them. I think he'd just crawl out of bed and cheerfully play with toys for as long as I let it continue if crawling out was easier for him.
My mom's suggestion is to just see what happens next. Maybe he'll only climb out when he is bored. And I'll keep the monitor on so I can hear if he is awake and playing with toys. What have you all done with kids crawling out of cribs?
I'm showing a picture of my sweet mom cuddling with Isaac when he was a new-born--hopefully her crib reassurances will work out in our case.

Lastly, the wooing and nesting continue in our home. Doug got me more flowers, a long and awesome love note and dum-dums (which he asked me to think of as prego pops) to celebrate that there were only four weeks left of my pregnancy last week. Now I have less than three weeks to go and I want my family well-rested, healthy, happy, and on track to help the sweet little girl who's about to come into our lives.

My nesting update is encouraging: I've updated our family album and Isaac's baby albums, bought our double jogging stroller (and assembled it), updated our budget, and now I only need to 1) finish our wedding album and 2) send thank-you cards to the awesome people who came to my baby shower on Saturday night... and 3) I'd like to see Women's Conference (which conflicted with my shower) ... and 4) I need to bring Peanut's baby girl hand-me-downs here and 5) finish Lucy's beautiful baby quilt and 6) pack a hospital bag at some point. So there is more to do, but certainly not a lot.


I'll close with some engagement photos--Doug and I in love and fancy-free. I'm just glad I get to do this adventure with such a hot, kind, fun man.

4 comments:

Allie said...

I can't remember how old Isaac is, but if he is possibly getting molars in, then that may explain his sore bum. Each one of my kids get bad diaper rashes when they are teething. They also seem to feel pretty rotten and run low grade fevers as they teethe, especially when getting molars. Just a thought...

McArthur Family said...

Ok, so I glanced at the pics before I started reading and thought you had the baby! Anyway, after reading I've now calmed down and just want to say, "I love you."

dave&abby johnson family said...

You are too cute my friend! I am so excited for you! p.s. love the engagement pics!

Jenn said...

Well I for one am very bummed I couldn't make it to your shower. It was kind of one of those days from hell (oh, I mean heck...). :) Anyway, the gift I was planning on giving you I can tell you about over this, so I told myself it wasn't too bad that I didn't come in person. I was planning on offering to do your little Lucy's newborn photos in case you either want to do announcements, or just one some cute pictures. (And so you don't think this is a weird thing, I don't know if you know, but I started my own little photography business-- www.eyeful-photography.blogspot.com. Anyway, if you already have plans for someone else to take her pictures, that's okay, just let me know and I'll find you another fabulous gift!