Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Quilt and The Waiting Life

Thanks to my West Virginian friends, I went from feeling uncomfortable and estranged when people talked about quilting to actually feeling excited about doing it. My mom and I made a rag quilt for Peanut's little boy Cabell at the start of the summer and then Peanut and I created a quilt for Lucy, with a little sewing help from other family members. Here it is:

An here's a close-up (unfortunately, you really good quilters out there will notice that the squares don't perfectly match up--I blame the stretchy jean material!):

And here's the back of it:

My mom and Peanut picked the fabric several months ago and then Peanut cut squares and we played around with how we wanted to arrange everything. We tried to size the quilt so it would fit over a baby carrier nicely without touching the ground (I always hated having Isaac's gorgeous quilts touch the rain and snow). The hand-stitched hearts took the longest, and Peanut definitely gets most of the credit for the hand stitching.


I love the quilt and I'm so happy I got to work on it with my sister. We finally finished it last night.

In related news, we are just waiting for this little girl as she steadily grows and fills out my belly. I'm due in 7 days and I think NOW would be a lovely time for Lucy to make her appearance. Look at her room, cluttered, but ready for her to make an appearance:


The picture doesn't show everything well, but you can tell that we've got the furniture, bedding, drapes, double stroller, and even the car seat (with Lucy's new quilt draped over it) all ready to go. The double stroller is in Lucy's room because we don't have a garage and there isn't any point in leaving a double stroller outside in the cold yet.

Doug cheerfully purchased a cover for our truck bed last weekend, so the truck may be the stroller's ultimate resting place--who knows?

We've had reasons NOT to have Lucy all week. For example, we wanted to go to the BYU football game together on Saturday, so we couldn't have Lucy before that. Then we needed to give talks in sacrament about scripture study, so we couldn't miss that. Doug's got a flag football game tonight, and neither of us would like to miss that, so today is out. We've got the BYU/TCU game this Thursday, so it may be okay to have our kid before then and watch the game at the hospital...but we're planning to meet Doug's dad at the Olive Garden on Friday night, and I'd hate to miss a meal with family:).

But my body is DONE with pregnancy!!!!!!! Will the child come out, please?!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm dilated to a 3. And my doctor will be out of town during this entire week. Have a nice day:).

7 comments:

dave&abby johnson family said...

Oh friend I am sorry I hope all goes well!

Jackson Family said...

what a darling quilt! I hope she comes soon! I know too well how you feel.

Allie said...

I love the quilt! Who cares if the squares don't match up perfectly, that gives it its handmade charm. Good luck in the upcoming days. Waiting is no fun. I've never made it past 37 weeks and I was so done by then when my babies arrived. I hope all goes well with delivery!

Kate Johnson said...

I hope she comes soon for your sake, Tara! And the quilt is beautiful. I think it is the imperfections in my quilts that make them so special. It proves they were handmade with lots of love!

Jenny said...

The quilt is beautiful! Good job. And good luck with the new baby--I hope she comes soon!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you are about to have your little girl. Ahhh, I wish I could see you and your cute self. I hope that you are doing good. How are you enjoying Utah? I bet it is so comforting to know that when you have your little girl that you are going to have family close by. Your quilt was awesome, I wish that I could do that!! I miss you tons!!

McArthur Family said...

Tara- I'M SO PROUD!!! Way to go on the quilt!

I hope she comes much easier than Isaac came. I'll be thinking of you.