Island Park has never been a whim for Doug and I. When we lived in Utah, it involved massive packing and a 4 1/2 drive, so we couldn't just go to the cabin at the drop of a hat. But now we live in Idaho Falls. And we have no church responsibilities:). So we decided it'd be cool to open up the cabin in Island Park for the weekend. What a blast!
The cabin-opening involved probably more than 6 hours of taking down boards, folding plastic wrap, plucking stapled cardboard off the ground, dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, scrubbing, etc. and we don't want any family members to think we actually LIKE opening the cabin--they need to think it's hard, taxing, draining, etc. so we will receive lavish praise and we won't become the designated cabin openers. (This is our third year opening the cabin.) Still, we had an awesome time.
The weather was perfect (mid 70's-lower 80's until Sunday, around 60 degrees or so). We got to play on our dock, go for a paddle boat ride (thank you, wonderful nameless, trusting neighbors!), take lots of stroller rides together and marvel with Isaac at all the passing boats, ducks, seagulls, four-wheelers, motorcycles, and jet skies.
Doug got to throw away a bat caught in a spider trap. We got ice cold showers and sponge baths (thank you, broken water heater). I got to read a fluffy book. We got to wear lots of bug spray and sunblock.
And we ate a lot of food, which brings me to OPERATION DETOX. Yes, friends, for a whole week, I am going to try to shun the most harmful foods I love. Goodbye, peanut M&Ms. Goodbye, sweet rolls from Sam's club and pickles. Goodbye, you wonderful cinnamon bears I ate while reading my fluffy novel. I won't say goodbye to Everything Bagels with cream cheese and pizza, because I think I may go into shock, but I am trying to behave a little more regarding sodium, sugar, and excessive carbs. One whole week: we'll see how I do:).
And the greatest news, recently off the presses: Doug made Law Review! I'm so proud of him! He slaved on his paper the week after school got out and apparently kicked academic bum on it! So way to go, baby. Way to take the liberal approach on a paper you knew would be read by West Virginians. You make me so proud:).
5 comments:
Look at you guys! Sounds like you are having fun. Congrats Doug on your recent accomplishment.
Amber
Hooray to Doug! I am glad all the hard work paid off, despite Daniel's attempts to get Doug to watch Nacho Libre with him that week.
And hooray for Tara! I wish I had the will power to detox these last few weeks, but from my purchases of cookies and ice cream at the grocery store last night, that's probably not going to happen!
How fun is your weekend at the cabin! I feel your pain on the detox diet. I had to do the low sodium/low sugar diet at the end of my pregnancy (over Christmas...horrible, horrible doctors!!) Anyway, I have some yummy ideas that helped me through it if you'd like some. I have to admit that the chocolate came back into my life the day Laralyn was born.
It's so fun to catch up with you. Hey, thanks for the phone message the other day. That was super thoughtful of you to think of me. We are just so happy little Wesley is here. Can't wait till your little girl is here. Take care and congrats to Doug on law review!
Hooray! Law Review is such a big deal! Write on is awful, but the most worth it pain you will endure in law school.
Post a Comment