Friday, March 28, 2008

Not the Poster-Girl For My Stage of Life

Today, I'm grouping women I know into 3 categories: 1) The Poster-Girls, 2) The Saints Going Straight to Heaven and 3) Girls like me.

It isn't that poster-girls can't go straight to heaven, but their future destination is less obvious than their present happy state.

So here I am as a poster-girl: 1) I'm a happy, newly married lady who's husband loves taking pictures of her. 2) I like leaning into my cute husband at the Idaho Falls 4th of July Parade. 3) I'm a cute member of my cute family, celebrating that Troy just got home from his mission; 4) Here, I have just recovered from a first trimester of morning sickness and a grueling semester of grad school and I'm relaxing on a second honeymoon in Hawaii with my husband. Cutety-cute-cute.





And here I am as the Saint going straight to Heaven:

Debate this with me if you must but I think ANY woman who sacrifices her body, her hormonal balance, her health, her love of food, her sleep, and her full devotion during waking hours to a child of God because God WANTS her to have a kid is at LEAST on her way to heaven. I think if she dies right after labor and delivery, she may have a one-way ticket.
And then there's the "Girls Like Me" category. That's where you put yourself if you aren't currently a poster-girl for your stage of life and your current conduct doesn't seem to perfectly coincide with the heaven-bound saints you know.
So those are the categories. Do you fit into any of them?
I'd like to thank all the women in my life who provide examples of heaven-bound poster-girls (meaning girls who try hard to do the right thing and enjoy the journey) and, right now, I particularly want to thank the afflicted heaven-bound--those who may not be having the time of their life, but they're trying so hard to do what's right. Thanks so much for your inspiration. When I talk to Doug about what you gals are all up to, we sometimes just sit back and feel amazement. So way to be wonderful!

7 comments:

Qian Jia Ting said...

Love the post and would love to hear more. Very interesting categorization and it requires some thought. I like the notion of not being a poster girl for one's current stage in life. I sometimes feel like I'm not the poster girl for my OWN life---as if there's a time/energy gap or conflict of some type. Anyway, I also contemplate the different stages we women go through and all the roles we play. Again, interesting post!

Allie said...

Fun post and really fun pictures. I fall into neither of the two categories listed. If one of the categories was trying to survive while trying to keep your children from killing themselves off with brainless and dangerous naughtiness, then perhaps I would fall into that category.

Jackson Family said...

I love this post!! I'm not sure what category I fit into, but considering that I am pregnant at the moment (and feeling pretty uncomfortable most of the time) I might, just might be a girl going straight to heaven for now at least. When I get upset at my girls or my husband, well, that's a different story.

Layton Clan said...

Girl, girl, girl. How many times have I tried to find you? Like, one hundred. Who knew that a blog would bring us back together. We were meant to stay in touch for all time. For sure.

Love this post. What a deep and purging topic. As a wife, a mother and a defender of the faith that we believe in I would have to say that 'straight to heaven' is the category I would love to give myself, but I know where I fall short, and where I have room to improve. I think the objective is to always be pushing forward towards perfection and the pursuit of true happiness.

I am so glad you left a post! I really love you, and yes, we did KILL ourselves out there in NYC. It was worth every second. I loved it with all of my heart.

PLEASE stay in touch, and if you are ever in AZ, we need to get together. I just love you!

Jen Layton (west)

BexxT said...

You better believe I am a Girl like me. Not a Poster girl or Going Straight to Heaven...

I don't think HF is going to give me brownie points for creative naughtiness.... but maybe I will get some for my incredible patience.

I think I am going to be one of those- well her bad almost balances out her good... you know- she is nice, good to her neighbor, patient, honest and tries pretty hard most of the time up against she skips church, struggles with believing, takes the Grooming standards as vague recommendations...

Well- I guess that makes me a Girl like Me.

BexxT said...

Hahaha you know I liked the hair- but Adam isn't exactly womanly looking... and to see people register long hair and say "Excuse me, ma'am..." Man alive- people don't pay attention! He would have full on facial hair and unwashed smelly boy body and people would still see long hair and make girl references.

It is nice though to have the longer hair of the two of us again though :) And the prettier hair. Adam's hair is like every girls dream- where is the fairness in that?

Just Us said...

I agree with your assertion that being a mom has moments of absolute "i better go to heaven for this." I think I've also put myself and other people into categories without naming them, so maybe I should sit down and try to think about what they are specifically.