Oh, my sweet little boy. He fell asleep on a "stroller ride" today and I didn't notice it until we were almost home. He was so sleepy that he barely moved his head as I pulled him out of the stroller, carried him up three flights of stairs to our apartment, removed his coat and shoes, and put him in his crib. I don't remember the last time he slept through something like he did today. It was so tender. There's an ancient Greek saying that claims, "No mother loves her child so well that she doesn't love to see him sleep," and I have to say that's true for me:). I love it when my little one sleeps.
And about me: Because of a recent addiction to swimming, I'm wishing I was on the swim team as a kid. Not only because I love V-shaped bodies (they're my favorite, and yes, Doug's a V) but because I lack some really essential skills, such as the following:
1) I don't know how to put my swim cap on. It either pulls down lopsidedly over my eyebrows or I look like a Elizabethan queen, with the cap starting at the hairline (where it pulls). I've seen swim team kids put their caps on and help each other put them on, and I just can't copy it in the pool. I have to try in the girl's locker room so at least I knows how dumb I look.
2) I can't do the butterfly. An old guy spied on Doug and I in the pool over the summer as we practiced the butterfly. He corrected us and let me know I was doing it perfectly. I think he was distracted by the fact that my bikini bottoms were falling down mid-fly. So I can't do the butterfly.
3) I also can't swim freestyle, really. I have spied on a lot of swimmers (I was a lifeguard for a year) but I favor one side for breathing and freestyle tires me out.
So feel free to coach me (for free) on my blog. I'll just post pictures (because my computer won't let me post video clips) of me practicing strokes and you can correct my form, okay? And I'll wear a one piece, so don't get worried.
And an unfortunate post script: I'm not entirely sure that the mother's love quote is really ancient or Greek--it's just stored in my memory, and could definitely be incorrect:).
7 comments:
What a hilarious visual of you with the swimming cap. I have that same issue with my veil whenever I go to do a session. I need to get the kind with a comb! Also, very cute picture. It is nice when they are able to be successfully moved from a stroller, carseat, etc into their bed still sleeping.
It's true--I love sleeping babies too (I've actually been working on a video tribute to naptime). That little picture you posted is so cute and tiny!
I promise there will be no making fun of your swimming techniques from me... You would have a field day with my "form" I taught myself how not sink when I was about 12...
It took me about 35 minutes to swim 75 meters for my swimming test for the crew team in college... AND I had to tread water using arms and legs for 6 minutes (I thought I was going to die) and then for 6 minutes without my arms... I kept sinking and the poor UMich swim coach took pity on me and let me cheat at my swim test.
He instructed me to never break my arms while falling out of a boat- Aye-Aye swim coach guy- I promise to never VOLUNTARILY fall out of a 8-woman sweep.
Idiot.
So swim incorrectly to your hearts content. The only butterflies I know are the cute ones that chill in the sun on my trees in the backyard.
Oops- that above comment was from me... Devonshire Photography is a blog I am setting up for work for a demo site... don't bother ever going to it- it will never be updated.
I believe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson..ahem! Oh you're so funny. Everything you said about swimming has been so hard for me. Like who thought of the butterfly and why do people go so fast while doing it and why can't I breathe on the same side everytime during freestyle? I love how everyone is a spy at the pool. Oh and for the record, I hate making Tyler's lunches. But he gags in the morning at the sight of mayo. (or he's a good faker.)
Hey Tara,
Here's the website that tells you how to be creative with your blog. If I don't send it now, I won't remember. Sure had fun last night. I'm so glad that you came. I haven't seen you in forever.
http://sjhblogdesign.blogspot.com/
Have fun!
Jon has been trying to teach me to swim for about 2 years now and I still can't do the freestyle very well. I have major issues with the breathing. Too bad Angela Vest isn't still here - she's a great swimmer and I regret never having her teach me (not that Jon's not a good teacher, I just think it might have helped to have a girl teacher). Good luck!!
Post a Comment