Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Strange Things Are Happening"











Toy Story is one of my least favorite kid movies of all time. That said, it was on a lot when I worked in Childcare, so I know the song "Strange Things Are Happening," which plays as Buzz replaces Woody as Andy's favorite toy. Strange things are happening in our lives.

Doug got a job as a prosecutor for Bonneville County, in Idaho Falls. He has been asked to moved to Idaho Falls as soon as possible. He begins his job on January 31st. So... we'll be putting our house on the market pretty soon.

In our dead economy, I am hoping our house doesn't sell... until we have reached the 3-year minimum to keep our $8,000 of Obama money. In a year and a half:). If we move before next June, or rent our house out, we have to pay all that money back.

Doug would love to have our house sell quickly, so he can move toward his job and not face several months of a 45-minute commute, both ways. I am a supportive, loving wife. And I still don't want to leave. If you've ever lived near me, you know I hate moving. I hate leaving my ward, my callings, my friends, my home, etc. And I hate the idea of losing a lot of money on our home--which we thought would be a good investment.

So, thanks to the impending put-our-house-on-the-market event, we have made a few changes in our home.

We bought an oak table (with two leaf inserts) and six matching chairs for our kitchen--I've been dreaming of this purchase for the past at least five years. We got the set used, so it was way more affordable than we expected. Oh, how I love it. We've talked about painting and polishing it, and we'll see if that happens after the move.

Doug and I converted Lucy's crib into a big-girl bed. Not because we are masochists, mind you--Lucy learned how to crawl out of her pack-n-play on vacation a few days ago, and brought the trick home with her. This was an unfortunate necessity.

Doug bought a heinous chair for Lucy's room. I've wanted to have a glider since we sold our old one (in another move), and although the light-blue corduroy wonder isn't everything I dreamed of, it'll do for the price.

And I got a few more baskets for toys. I took pictures of our bookshelf, which I love dearly. You'll see Lucy and Isaac's most recent picture, compliments of Walmart's Photo Studio.

I didn't take a picture of it, but Doug fixed our mailbox. He broke it a few weeks ago, returning a ladder to a neighbor, and solved the problem all by himself. We are not known for our handiwork, so I am VERY impressed with his accomplishment, which necessitated a sledge hammer of sorts, and a file to deal with stripped nails. Way to go, Doug.

So strange things are happening, including my recent culinary adventures in the Ashton cookbook--my sister-in-law Shauna gave it to me for Christmas, bless her--and I have so many other projects to tackle. Like scrapbooking and organizing clothes, and finding things for DI, and organizing baskets and drawers. And prepping for my new classes, and reading my current Jordan book, and cleaning, and reading all of your blogs. Happy End of the Year!

9 comments:

So Many M's said...

Congrats on the job. Even if you don't want to move, at least he found a job right now. I hope everything will work out for you guys. In Doug's defense, I have to say, any commute more than 20 minutes really stinks for the family. Randy had a really aweful commute while in WI and I hated it. I never saw him. Good luck and Have an awesome New Year.

Natalie said...

WOW-- big and strange things are happening!!!! Good luck with it all and keep us posted!!!

Kate Johnson said...

That is very exciting news! Good luck on selling the house, or not selling the house as the case may be. I am beginning to organize in preparation for a potential move...even though it will be in six months if it happens at all. We will find out at the end of the month, so until then, I will be organizing my little heart out!

Decker and Christine said...

Congratulations on the job!!! Yay!!!! That must be a HUGE relief for you guys. But....yuck on the moving. I HATED getting our house on the market!!! Doug will not be happy with me saying this, but a 45 minute commute isn't that bad. :) Decker's commute is sometimes that long (or longer) with traffic. He's listening to quite a few audio books, and actually likes the "cool down time." And...I think the gas will cost less than the $8,000 you'll have to give back to Uncle Sam, right? Just trying to be helpful. :) Love you! Congrats again.

McArthur Family said...

Whoohoo for a new job!!! Yay for a new table! Selling a house sounds stressful, so I''m sending happy vibs your way...good luck.

Love you! (and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog)

Jenn said...

Hurray for a new job! That is awesome, congratulations! I know how you feel about selling a house. Whatever happens with the house, I hope it works out for the very best. I love what you have done with your house!

Sandy White said...

Congrats on Doug's new job, although I understand why you don't want to move. Good luck with selling (or not selling??) the house...I hope you can get a good return for your investment. Happy New Year!!

Sara and Dustin said...

Ugh. I'm with you on the moving. But commutes are awful, too. Not really a win/win, is it?

So, I'm slowly making my way back into social media after our new addition. Sorry, I haven't been around much. I still love whenever you make a comment on my blog!

PS Your kids are really cute. Still.

jls said...

I say make him commute!! LOL I HATE moving, too! And now I have that song in my head to boot!
-Laura S. (signed in under the wrong account, per usual)