I apologize for what may be considered theoretical blasphemy, but I was pretty impressed with my laundering skills this week when I saved a pair of shorts from complete ruin. I had a picnic at my mom's house and realized after getting up from the grass that I had been sitting on berries--in my new khaki shorts. And I really didn't feel like I could afford another pair.
My mom and Peanut coached me to spread Shout! on my shorts, keep them wet in the car as I went home, soak them in hot water, then wash them in hot water with Biz again and again and again. When I went to bed that night, my shorts actually looked like they had before the berry incident.
I worry about my little family budget a lot, and I hated the idea of spending money on shorts if I could save my own shorts. Lucy's little yellow dress didn't fair so well. I didn't notice she had a berry stain on her bum until we got home, and so she still has a berry stain, despite my efforts to get rid of it at home:(.
I really am thankful. My grandma saved a pair of my white shorts when I was in Junior High, and I still love that and marvel. Laundry invites religious analogies.
In other news, I've been thinking about how I'm doing as a mother. A reluctant toddler who says "No!" way too often could bring that out in anyone. I'd give myself a really high grade for effort and a really mediocre grade for actual results.
In my Patriarchal blessing, I am told that I will advocate the cause of motherhood and mothering, so here is my proclamation to the world on the subject of mothering and working FOR ME (and for the moment):
I know that I want to be marketable and maybe even teach a class. It would be nice to be paid for strengthening my teaching skills. I also know that my two-year-old needs me full time right now. Even though I'm not a great disciplinarian. And even though I don't let Isaac paint with anything except ketchup. Poor kid.
I wrestle over whether I want to get a part-time teaching job to feel like I'm progressing and developing myself, or just because I see other mothers with part-time jobs and I appreciate the financial benefits. I don't want to deceive myself. And I don't want to be lazy. And I don't want to shortchange myself.
That said, I'd be just as pleased with myself for submitting and maybe even publishing as I would if I taught. So there isn't a need for me to work outside of my home financially (for the time being) or even emotionally, as long as I am pushing myself to develop my talents.
I'm thinking of several people as I write this, afraid of offending or sounding some negative way, but I'm also voicing my real feelings in MY PARTICULAR SITUATION, so please don't be offended.
Happy Sabbath.
3 comments:
To my talented Tara,
Deciding to work outside the home is between you and the Lord. You'll know what's best for you and your family. I totally know what you mean when your 2 year old is needing you full time...I just wish I had more to give to my kids right now. I feel like we are barely making it through. I was really thinking about doing photography on the side but now that I'm so sick and barely getting through each day, I'm so glad I didn't. That doesn't mean that's the end to my photography ideas, just not now.
You are an amazing woman with so many talents to share with your children, friends, family, and possibly future students. Motherhood makes us stretch beyond what we are capable of and somehow turns us into the servant God wants us to be.
I love you,
Amber
Can I just say I so understand. And between us two year olds can drive you to drink, so since we can't drink, they can drive you to consider employment. lol :)
I'd definitely give you a really high grade for the effort Tara. From what I see, your amazing, truly;)
I laughed at the Savage comment. TO TRUE!! Haha.
It blows my mind how many of my friends work. I don't think I'd want to go back full time or even part time right now. . . however, I do wish that I could "go to work" (meaning leave the kids) for a day and get a pay check after that day and go shopping. . .
We'll miss you! Good luck with your new adventures!
Post a Comment