Who sings the "Mickey Mouse" song to their kids when they're changing diapers? I do:). And sometimes, instead of spelling out Mickey's name, I spell Isaac's name. So that's what I've been up to, and it justifies my blogging absence, doesn't it?
I really have been living in the land of little people, wherein one child gets my attention, falls asleep, then the other child gets my attention, then we get to eat with Daddy, one kid falls asleep, the other gets my attention, and I get to hang out with Doug some, read, work out, and sleep somewhere in the 7pm-9am slot.
Here are some mommy dilemmas I'll throw out there for my life-improving readers whose suggestions I need:
1) What do I do with a little girl who needs her paci in her mouth at all times when sleeping but doesn't know how to keep it in her mouth?! I "paci pop" all night long with Lucy. Sometimes, she'll sleep in her room for several hours, then wake up in the night to eat, then I have to bring her into my room to lie beside me so I can paci pop without getting up. Those are on the "better" nights. Sometimes, Lucy is our roommate all night long and the paci popping goes on all night long. Sigh. I've been reading my sleep-training book and I think I'll start training her when she is three months old (on January 28th) but I'm not looking forward to it. She is a WAILER when she's unhappy and it's not only heart-rending, it's just so pointedly LOUD and unhappy. Poor Lucy and poor everyone who has to hear it. Any suggestions to help me sleep better at night?
2) And what do I do with Isaac's pacis? He has chewed through them (he has two left and they're identical) so they could seriously split into two pieces (a choking hazard) but I don't want to get rid of his pacis just yet. The kid sleeps for 13 hours at night and for a couple during the day, and I don't want to rock that boat, particularly when I'm still sleep deprived with a newborn. I know I could buy pacis for Isaac to use for the next few months or so, or I could let him borrow one of Lucy's. But I'm cheap and I can see him justifying using Lucy's pacis later on even after we stop letting him use the paci. (F.Y.I. I plan on using Angela Vest and Katie White's method for getting kids to stop using their pacis.)
Last of all, I am having such fun workouts! This week, I ran, did the elliptical machine, lifted weights, did ballet conditioning with a workout video I got for my birthday and I went swimming for the first time in a while. What fun! I love mixing it up. If anyone has any secrets for shedding baby weight, let me know!
6 comments:
I like a lot of variety too. I LOVE yoga. Seriously, the greatest thing in the world. You can get a cardio/fat-burning one. I have one that's Denise Austin that I do. I do this one like once a week and then another Bryan Kest one that has different levels but overall I think is more toning than the Austin one. I POUR sweat doing the Austin one.
I also LOVE rollarbladding. I go like once a week. Though, I guess in the winter that doesn't really work. Unless you live in Vegas, which was awesome, but I don't anymore.
Do you belong to a gym? I love going to classes that combine cardio and weightlifting.
Oh the joy of paci's :) You can't live without them and you can't live with them. So what are Katie's and Angela's method's of getting rid of the paci's. I'm in debate about Grant's. he also has two left and has chewed them both. Do I buy new ones? I don't know. I love that Grant also sleeps 12-13 hrs with his Paci and I'm terrified to disturb that :) You'll have to let me know what you end up doing.
So, how do you say "paci"? Is it like you're speaking Spanish, PAH-see? Or is it more like just the first half of pacifier, PA-see? Sorry that I can't type the phonetic alphabet very well.
In any case, I'm glad you've introduced me to this hip name for them, because pacifier is kind of stuffy, but I can't stand calling it a "binky."
And sorry I don't actually have any tips for you about the kids. Sarah is telling me I need to read Baby Wise, though. Apparently there are some good tips about helping your kids sleep. We'll find out pretty soon how well they actually work!
You're not going to want to hear my advice. With both of my girls they got to the point at about 2.5 to 3 months when their pacifier started driving me up the wall. It seemed like it was hindering sleep (her's and mine) instead of helping. When it got to that point, I AGONIZED over it but knew I had to deal with the inevitable. I just took it away altogether. There was a LOT of screaming but they both got to the point where they are really great at going to sleep on their own. Anna still sleeps about 12 hours a night. You may not want to do that (for good reason) but that's what worked for me. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
When I did sleep training with the boys, my rule was they could have the paci in their mouths when I put them down. If they spit it out, that was it, I didn't go put it back in. There was a lot of screaming for the first few days, but now they're great sleepers. And now they can put the paci back in their mouths if they want to. They use it more as a toy than anything else. Hope you're doing well. We miss you!
Oh my dear friend, you are too cute. I miss you. :)
Post a Comment