Tuesday, November 6, 2007

27 Steps, YA Fiction, and Idaho Falls

So Isaac's record for walking unaided is 27 steps. We're very proud. Isaac still doesn't think walking unaided is the most effective means of travel since he can crawl at lightening speed. It's really fun to crawl with him, by the way. He likes to be chased, but he starts giggling so hard as I barrel over to him on my knees that he forgets to get away. I tackle him and then the game starts again. The other fun recent games are as follows: 1)turning the light switch on and off 2) feeding mommy Isaac's cereal 3) opening the cupboard just below the oven (because there isn't a way to safety lock it) 4) choosing not to take his second nap, even though his mother desperately wants him to and keeps him in his crib for an hour, chatting to himself, just in case he wants to sleep and 5) undoing his Velcro straps as I try to get him ready to leave our apartment. I'm just crazy about my little boy.

I have decided (many times) that Young Adult fiction is a little "young" for me, as it should be, right? But when I read Adult fiction, it's so often painfully graphic that I end up frustrated--why can't marvelous writers write subtly? Graphic sex, graphic violence, and then brilliant stretches. It's always like the nasty bug in your bowl of Rocky Road ice cream--do you eat the ice cream anyway? Hmmm... Anyway, I was in one of my "I'm above reading YA fiction" phases last week, but Isaac was playing with the toys in the children's section of the library, and a couple YA novels were on display. So I picked up a few... read the backs... began reading one of them... and took it home to finish it. Is my life changed? No. But my YA fiction snobbery never lasts very long.

And Idaho Falls: We're going there in May and we'll be there until August. I'm so excited for Doug, who will be interning for a man he loves and respects so much. I'm so happy for myself, because I will be closer to family for three months. I'm happy for Isaac, who will get to play with his cousins, uncles, aunt and grandparents. Sure, I'd rather live RIGHT by my family (say, at my parents' house again?) but Idaho Falls will be wonderful. Cheers to Doug.

No comments: