Sunday, May 25, 2014

3 Months; 3 Years

I have been looking forward to making this post all week. Cason turned 3 months old and Brooklyn turned 3 years old. So here are some updates:

He'll smile on command. I wanted to send a quick picture of him to my family one night, so I got him to smile, and sent the message--so reliable:)
 CASON:

Cason is still my dream baby--he gets called perfect, wonderful, and marvelous on a daily basis. I know I loved all of my babies, but I can't remember any baby being this sooth-able and radiant. If he gets a little fussy, he can take a pacifier. If the pacifier isn't handy, he'll suck his fist for comfort. He smiles at me all day long, does a great job eating, will take a bottle, only wakes up a few times a night and sleeps for a 12 hour period, and he is starting to go to bed earlier, which has been incredible. Last night, he went to bed at 8:45 pm, and I went to bed at 10:30. I've missed being able to go to bed that early.

Cason still doesn't do any impressive long sleeping stretches at night. His very longest stretch was 6 hours and 15 minutes, but he usually goes for about 4 1/2 hours, then eats, then goes another 3-4 hours, then eats, etc. I would love for a big long stretch to develop, butI'm so happy with the earlier bed-time development that I can be patient.

Another thing--Cason doesn't need to cry. Because he is perfectly soothable, there isn't a need for this little one to feel sad. I meet his little needs and he is a happy camper. I have told a lot of people that I worry that he is one of those babies that is "too perfect for this world." It seems like the sweetest, best babies are taken home to heaven, and I don't want that to happen with Cason. He is amazing, and I hope I get to raise him. I shouldn't be a worrywort, but I say this to let you know how special and divine this little baby is.


Cason's reaction to being in the running stroller


BROOKLYN:

My amazing little girl turned 3 years old this week, and got to do things her way, in her time. She selected two balloons at the store (and Lucy commandeered another balloon), and we went shopping for clothes and flippies for her at the mall, ending up at the play place. Happiness is riding a ladybug with balloons attached to one's wrist. We sang to her all day long and got her presents we knew she would love: she got Leap Frog letters and numbers she can put in a slot and push and have them sing to her, and a big box of blocks. She had a great day.

I've worried about Brooklyn developmentally, so her third birthday was bittersweet. She still sleeps in a crib, still sits in her high chair (her "big girl chair") and she is still in diapers. She still doesn't talk as much as my other kids did at this age, but she has made huge progress. We've had her in speech therapy for the past half year, and I have loved working with Brooke, her speech therapist. Brooklyn "graduated" from the Infant/Toddler program when she turned 3 years odl, and was tested as being developmentally advanced in every area except her speech, where she is exactly where she should be. If I think she needs more help with speech in the fall, I'll coordinate that with the district.

I pointed out to Peanut that Brooklyn's accomplishments could be attributed to a 2-year-old on her birthday. But Peanut points out, wisely, that the things she is doing that are convenient for me, like being immobilized in a crib and in a high chair, and being in diapers, are things that make life easier right now with a baby in the home. I know that's true. I just want Brooklyn to thrive, and I want to help her feel successful and smart.

I have signed her up for preschool in the fall--something I NEVER wanted to do with a 3-year-old--but I think she will benefit from interacting with kids her age, doing age appropriate things away from Mommy for 4 hours a week. She is a Mommy's girl, helping me find the right lotion to put on after a shower, grabbing my running shoes for me, helping me grab a diaper for Cason, helping me load the dishwasher.

She is radiant like Cason, but she doesn't flash that radiance in a crowd very often. Doug says he was like this growing up--shy around people he didn't know, but a complete talker around the people he loved. So if preschool can help Brooklyn come out of her shell and gain confidence, that feels like the right choice.



I sent this picture to Brooklyn's speech therapist because Brooklyn is puckering up perfectly to blow bubbles--making specific shapes with her mouth helps her speak more clearly.


So happy Sunday morning to everyone from the Bowen clan. My life is one million times better with these amazing children than it could ever be without them. They also earn brownie points for being asleep at 9:28 am, as I type this. The other two children did not earn those brownie points this morning:).

1 comment:

Sandy White said...

Love your post! And, if it makes you feel any better, Simon is still in Pull-Ups and sleeps in a crib. :) When we were in Disney World, I tried him out on an inflatable mattress. He went to sleep great, but rolled everywhere the entire night! I pulled him out from under chairs, under the sofa bed, etc. So, it was a given he was going to end up on the floor at home, we are just keeping him in his crib for now. Cason is such a sweet baby! Glad it going so well for you. :)