Tuesday, March 29, 2011

With a Pinch of Cheerful in My Diet

Sometimes, being bled has its perks. I had my 3-hour stress test yesterday (FYI: Plan on the test actually taking 3 1/2 hours because you're pricked, then you drink the horrible drink, THEN you are pricked every hour for the next 3 hours). But good news from the test:

I don't have gestational diabetes BUT my iron is REALLY low, and I've been invited to take an iron supplement. The lightbulb clicked on when my doctor told me the lab results today. I remembered my sister-in-law Jessica saying she had so much more energy when she added an iron supplement. And I recalled that I've been taking children's vitamins during this pregnancy because women's vitamins made me so sick. Guess what? Children's vitamins are iron-free, and so I haven't been getting any extra iron! Also, I don't like iron-rich foods during pregnancy--leafy greens are about on par with lima beans and beets for me during pregnancy. So I'm excited to feel better--more energetic! I'm grateful for my lab work, even though it wasn't the most fun event I've attended in years. I do realize that iron may make me more nauseous than i already am, but I'm trying to ignore that prospect, and hoping it won't happen.

And I need to be a diligent teacher and grade during my kids' nap, so ta ta.

9 comments:

Decker and Christine said...

I am so glad you 1)Don't have gestational diabetes 2)Have figured out you have low iron. I hope things get better for you when you start taking iron. This pregnancy doesn't sound like any fun at all...

alexandra said...

I hope the iron works for you! It made me nauseated so I ended up with chronic anemia, but that was probably a false choice born of laziness. I am sorry you have been so sick and stretched. I know what you mean about knowing that you should feel so grateful but wanting/needing to vent about (very legit) issues and struggles. The sick kids, the work load, the pregnancy, that is a lot to juggle at once and I think you are superwoman for doing it. Seriously.

Valerie said...

Hurray for not having gestational diabetes! I'm sorry you've been having a rough time and I wish I lived closer to you so I could help you out! Hang in there and I'll be sending lots of love and happy thoughts your way.

Amber said...

the mumps! crazy! what were his symptoms, what a crazy couple of weeks you've endured.

p.s. I totally appreciate you being on top of changing my email address to my updated one, but until I get around to notifying all my "private" blogs I read to change my email address, would you be ok setting it back to the old one dougyamber@yahoo.com that way I can view yours more easily as I do enjoy reading about your life. love you!

McArthur Family said...

thanks Tara!

Steven and Rylie said...

Have Fun in St George, it sounds like you deserve it : ) PS I fight my chronic preganancy fatigue with Dr. Pepper, but that is probably not very church approved, but it does make me a better mom, when I can function for the sake of my children.

Anna said...

Goodness. You've had a busy March! Hope to see you this summer in Idaho. Glad you passed your glucose test! I didn't with Amellia....yeah pregnacy is not so fun...but worth it in the long run! Wish you and your family a happy, sick-free April!

Trevor and Dayna said...

Im so sorry u have had a rough pregnancy. I wish I were there to help u out with something. I am glad I found your blog though. U truly do have a good attitude about everything and I admire u for it. Hope u get feeling better

Jenn said...

hope you're feeling better!!