Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pigtails on Day One










When contemplating whether I wanted to have a baby girl or a baby boy this time around, I finally decided I wanted a baby girl. My kids have beautiful, thick, long hair when they are born, and I want to put my new little baby girl's hair in pigtails when she is born:). We all went to see the ultrasound this morning, and saw our baby girl:). Having a little sister won't help Lucy to be a tomboy, and Isaac will be surrounded by girls most of the time, but we're happy about our chunky, perfectly healthy little girl. She is expected some time around May 26th-June 1st:). I'm 20 weeks, or four and a half months along.

About the pregnancy: I am one of those women who felt really great throughout my boy pregnancy, and planned my own funeral--requesting that Doug bury my alive--when I was pregnant with my little girl. So with this latest pregnancy, when October and November tempted me to plan my own funeral again, I suspected I was going to have a little girl. I still felt lousy at night time during a lot of December, but I feel great now--sometimes tires, forgetful, and clumsy, but I don't foresee planning my own funeral again any time soon.

Looks: I've spent too much time comparing how I look pregnant to how my friends and family look pregnant. Comparisons are never a good thing, and staring at womens' bellies, calculating exactly how far along they were at the time the picture was taken, is NOT what I consider healthy, productive time. But it has been done. And it is only fair that I provide that potential waste of time with the rest of the world by sharing pregnant belly shots, and talking about weight gain. I have gained about 11-12 pounds, which is a little bit less than I had gained at this point in the Lucy pregnancy, and probably about the same as I gained during the Isaac pregnancy. My scale has a generous heart (read: is jacked up)--so it shows that I weigh considerably less than I weigh on the scales at my doctor's visits. But I've been using my scale since before my pregnancy so at least I have an accurate idea of how much I am gaining.

As my friend Bekah said, I can't "control" my weight gain healthily during pregnancy. But I can watch what I eat and exercise often, and know I'm doing my part to be able to fit into my normal clothes after giving birth. I know I'm blessed to be able to work out, and I am SO thankful for the endorphins. Currently, I'm in the habit of doing elliptical while I read, lifting weights, running, or swimming. I usually pick two or three of those activities during a work out. If anyone has any suggestions about how to avoid lots of weight gain in the second half of pregnancy (like avoiding white bread and sugar, or anything else that's healthy and helpful) I am all ears.

I'm still in my normal clothes, but that's because my jeans are super low-rise, and my shirts are all Downeast Outfitter types. I like wearing a big puffy vest a lot of the time, or sweatshirts. This is my first time being pregnant throughout the winter, and I like that it allows me to hide my belly. Not very many people know that I'm pregnant, which makes me feel like "myself," rather than "the pregnant lady." There will definitely be time enough for me to become "the pregnant lady." I do not look hot pregnant. Doug says I do, and I guess that matters the most:). I try to wear makeup and look pretty so, again, my belly isn't the central focus.

Also: I haven't yet documented Lucy's first time on roller skates (she skated for about 30 feet before begging me to take her skates off), or her amazing trike-riding skills (evidenced at the stroll-n-ride at our local roller skating rink on Tuesday), so that gets to be a part of this post as well. I hope everyone likes our surprise, and I'm excited that all of the girls of Austin were pregnant at the same time...for like a week:). It has also been so fun to be pregnant with my blogging buddies, and see how we are all going through similar things! I'm just straight-up blessed:).

12 comments:

BexxT said...

ohhh got it. This makes more sense... Val was still pregnant when you found out :)

Congrats my beautiful friend!

Sandy White said...

Yay, Tara..another girl! I am so excited for you. And, to compare bellies (ahem..) you are much tinier than me (and 1 month further along). I've been eating whatever I want with this one, and I know I'm going to regret it later on. However, I lost weight on my second appointment so I thought this was my excuse to eat away.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Sandy, I'm so with you on gorging after dr. appointments. I did the same thing today for the same reason:).

Teagan said...

Congratulations!! That is pretty exciting. Have you thought of names yet? Or will that be another surprise?

McArthur Family said...

compare this...your friend Amber gains 50-60 lbs with every pregnancy...does she care...nope, not really...why? because she's PREGNANT and in her opinion, don't stress so much about the weight gain, just focus on the miraculous event that is occurring and the fact that your body is physically able to bear healthy children.

Love you and congratulations!

Kate Johnson said...

Congratulations, Tara! And if only I could put pigtails on my girls...two and a half years later. Yeah, I could barely eek out two pigtails when Maddie turned two. Then I cut her hair so that it was more even, and that meant pigtails no more for a while!

I am glad you are feeling better and hope that the rest of your pregnancy is seamless!

Jenn said...

So so excited for you! I can't believe you could keep it a secret for so long. No seriously, I am impressed. I need better secret keeping skills like you! Yay for a sister for Lucy. I think sisters are the best (even the crazy ones like mine).

So Many M's said...

Wow, how exciting. Apparently I've been neglecting my private blogs. So CONGRATS!!!! (for the following, 1). Turning 30 and having a fab day and 2). On the soon-to-be addition to your cute family). When are you due? Also, don't suspect girl until you get that ultrasound. My 1st preg. was a breeze, my second sucked and they were both girls and then it cycled again, #3 was awesome #4 was miserable. Every baby is different regardless of gender. Hope you make it through this one . . .sane. Take care.

Allie said...

Congratulations! Very exciting news.

My boys both had more hair and faster growing hair than my girls. It took years for my girls' hair to even look half way normal. Of course, it didn't help that Maddie had taken scissors to her own hair three times by the time she turned four. Mylie, on the other hand, has slow growing and lopsided hair. I attribute the lopsided hair to the fact she twists it and twists it to comfort herself and it does a lot of damage.

I hope that you feel better for the rest of the pregnancy.

Valeri Crockett said...

Congrats Tara! I love that Lucy will have a sister...

I'm so glad I have a sister, she's my bestest friend;)

I'm not nervous about having a third child...I'm nervous about surviving pregnancy with two little boys to take care of. How did you make it through so far? I'm not pregnant..but I sure would love to hear how you've survived.

Natalie said...

WOW!!! Congratulations! What great news!!!

aaron, brookie, addison and landon bedwell said...

congrats on being pregnant and also having a girl.that's so exciting.
i am very jealous of your kids hair.
hope you get feeling better.isn't pregnancy is just so much fun.