Click here to see an article paying tribute to my dad. BYU invited their All-American football quarterbacks to be honored during halftime last week and my dad wasn't invited; so the article asks why my dad wasn't honored.
I love my dad, and I love when people think about him. Currently, the article is the most popular in the Deseret News. If you look for it, I bet you can identify my comment in response to the article:).
In other news, my backyard was full of twenty people this afternoon--several couples in the ward like to get together once a month and chow down on a potluck meal. We rotate who hosts, and it's a nice way to feel connected to people when our families live too far away for Sunday get-togethers. I'd like to invite more people, but I think the kid chaos could get overwhelming--especially when we can no longer lounge around while the kids play outside.
This week was a hard one! You know when you have certain weeks that really feel like they stretch your abilities?
Doug and I talked a lot about our future (as Doug is applying for several law firms and we're seeing which others we feel good having him apply to);
I practiced piano way more than usual because our primary program is in two weeks and I'm the worst primary pianist I've ever heard in my life;
Classes began this week, and there are technical problems this semester that I can't help my students with--we're piloting a new program, which means there are all sorts of unforeseen, unpleasant surprises for my students (like they can't open up course documents, or read homework--which means they can't take quizzes on time);
and I've got two classes instead of one this semester--lots and lots more work to have two classes;
picture me replying to all 45 of my students' really short "getting to know you" intros with personalized messages. How would you respond warmly to, "My name is Judd Harris and I from Oregon."
How about, "Dear Judd, Welcome to our class! I'm excited that you're from Oregon because I think that's where Twilight took place, and that's just super." It's seriously challenging.
And I watched my friend's two kids from 8:30am-2:30 pm on Friday. That shouldn't have been an enormous deal, and the kids were cute. But it was my second day of school.
This post is too long, but I want to invite everyone who has been through school with kids to watch the Hallmark movie, "Freshman Father." (Sorry, Amber! I told you it was "Harvard Dad!") It is based on a true story and it's so touching.
Finally, I know I ended many of my sentences with prepositional phrases. And I apologize:).
6 comments:
tara, thank you so much for thinking of us; it was a delight to hear your sweet voice on my voicemail. i miss you. way to go hosting a potluck...I think I should do one in my new ward to get to know some of the people. good luck balancing family, class, and future career possibilities. love.
Good luck on the program...I know you'll do great! Our program is also in two weeks, though, so I understand the anxiety that accompanies it. Yikes!
Dan went to that BYU game and so I asked if your dad was honored and was kinda surprised when he said no. Now I know the story (and way more about your dad's accomplishments in BYU football) after reading the article. I still feel that your dad complimenting me throwing a football was one of the best compliments I've ever received, considering the source. Thanks for that ego booster Br. Sheide! :) That was the weekend we we stayed at your grandma's house and invited Mason and Jared and Joe-- WHAT were we thinking?!
Tara,
I was a huge BYU football fan back when I was a teenage living in Orem (in the days of Ty Detmer). I actually did own/read the book "And It Came to Pass" which talked about your Dad. Pretty cool article about him!
Best of luck as you contemplate your future. Remember you can always decide to come back to WV. Think about all those great runs you'd have on all these hills...lol.
Great article about your dad! Though it did fail to mention his amazing talent for listening to boy drama late at night. I guess that would have put the article past its word count. Sorry about your week. I feel for ya.
I love your blog. You guys are aweosme and we love you!
Post a Comment