This afternoon, as I scrubbed pen mark off the couches, did multiple loads of laundry, scrubbed dishes and floors, hand-vacuumed, moved furniture, vacuumed, looked ruefully at the bookshelf that is missing one shelf as a result of a "climbing accident," put crayons in high-up places, mused over the sweet message from my niece on my fridge, read the sweet letter from her parents (and savored the gift card to Coldstone they'd left us), saw with surprise and delight that they had replenished my milk supply, and finally put my own children down for naps, I pondered my 5-day experience hosting the Williams family. They are two adults, Matt and Jessica (Doug's sister) and their three children, Kate (5), Luke (3) and McKay (10 months). Jessica is among my faithful blog-readers, so I'm just letting you know I know she's reading. Hi, Jessica:). I think the experience went REALLY well, and I'd like to share some of the things we all did that helped us have a great time.
1) Each family had it's own floor; the nappers in the group all had their own rooms. I loved this and want to encourage future visitors to try this arrangement with us. It meant each family had its own bathroom and kids got to do their bedtime routines separately, which I think helped them get to sleep. It also helped us all get ready in the morning without feeling like we were stepping on each others' toes. Fans helped us feel like we were drowning out noise for the sleepers so we didn't have to be too quiet.
2) We spent very little money. Both families paid for groceries and we did a little shopping for Easter, but we never went out to eat or spent money on entertainment. Cool, huh? The kids played outside even though it was really cold and we went on a few walks. I went to Gold's Gym once, and Isaac and I supported Matt and Doug at a church basketball game. We did a few outings one day, but again spent little on anything other than groceries. I'm kind of surprised that we were able to do that. Good work, team.
3) The adults got to talk every night after we put kids down. That was awesome! Discussing the challenges we're having and the victories we've had helped us air out our ideas and understand each other better. For example, Doug learned that I'm fine with him fishing all day in Minnesota--I thought he knew that and he never suspected that was an option...and Doug and Matt realized that they both tend to serve as "ultra" protectors for our children. Matt suggests that he and Doug are the "super-dooper" model of male protectors, and Jess and I ought to be grateful we got the best models:).
4) I appreciated having my own private sanctuary and I wish Jess and Matt had that as well. My room was always clean, which was peaceful for me because the rest of the house had been hit by a cyclone of five kids five and under. Having a space that was orderly just soothed my soul. And I got a few naps in my own room, which was fantastic. Again, I wish Matt and Jess had that!
5) Our guests were just so gracious. Jessica helped me with meals, we all helped each others' kids, we shared the load with groceries, they let Doug and I sneak away for a date, and we all just enjoyed each other. I guess this tip is really that you ought to have great company come to stay.
To acknowledge the title of my post, I really do think we came away with more than we'd had before the visit--we knew each other better, I literally had fabulous left-overs, and I was glad we'd had the experience. What other tips do you have to help visits be a positive experience? We haven't had a ton of company since we got married, so I love learning what other people do and appreciate so we can become better hosts!
7 comments:
I have learned that if people have a comfy chair in their respective rooms that it's nice to let everyone have a place to retreat to after spending lots of time together. That way you're always happy to see each other. Sounds like a nice visit. I love visitors.
If only all the chairs in the house weren't surrounding the too-small kitchen table... Jenn, that sounds like a terrific idea in my future:).
I just randomly went to your blog, thinking it was weird I hadn't read it in so long -- it hasn't been in my Google Reader feed, so I figured you hadn't been posting! I've got a lot to catch up on!
Sounds like a heavenly visit to me! So far, I have a really hard time with visitors overnight for days. I always get a migraine the day after people leave. . .yea,no good;( I loved your post because you seemed to have it a little more organized and both parties were helping out with everything and enjoying themselves. I need to have a good experience like you did so I'm not so anti-visitor-overnight.
Happy belated Easter to you too! The chocolate has been disappearing out of Lincoln's basket. Shh, don't tell.
Great post and a very interesting topic. It's a hard one :) I like your suggestions and will ponder those a bit. I don't have any suggestions because I've always found it a bit tricky. I'll keep thinking, though!
I am so glad you had a good experience. It sounds like you planned out the visit very well, something that I always aspire to do, but never seem to get done. Now that we are moving again, I am going to have to brush up my entertaining skills, in the hope that our next place will have a little more space for visitors!
I always imagined hosting visitors would get easier when we had a house and in some ways it is, but it's always still a bit overwhelming. Totally worth it though. I'm glad it worked so well for you.
FYI, before visitors I always go through the kids toys and put up any toys that seem to always just get thrown around the house and not played with. This really helps with the mess factor and my kids never seem to notice.
Post a Comment