Lucy has asthma. I was awake all last night with her and we begged the asthma and allergy specialist to move her appointment up to today (it's scheduled for next Monday.) Lucy could not sleep last night because of her coughing/gagging, and we were relieved to see a doctor who might help.
We went as a family to the doctor appt. and the doctor listened to Lucy's chest and said that, even though we haven't heard wheezing, she's got a lot going on in her chest. So he had us put a mask on her and give her some medicine with oxygen, then he checked her lungs again and said she sounded better. So we then took Lucy to the hospital, where she had x-rays done of her chest. Our new routine for the next little while:
Lucy will be taking an oral steroid every day for the next week (which will prevent me from going to Gold's Gym with her or being very social because if she gets a cold or anything else, the medication may not work.)
Also, she will be using an inhalor morning and night, and another inhalor every 3-4 hours as needed. Even though she has had a runny nose since November, we're attacking the cough first and I'll be back to the doctor in two weeks with Lucy to evaluate her progress.
As we kept hearing what we would need to do with Lucy, a few things went through my mind. First of all, I felt relief that her problems are treatable. Thank goodness she has options. And I tried to remember to be grateful that she doesn't have cancer. But I really felt sorry for Lucy. There is nothing on earth I would want more for her than for her to be completely healthy and happy. I hate that she may be reliant on inhalors and other medicine for the rest of her life. She just woke up, so I need to go get her.
As a side note, I'm teaching now and I have a kid in the class who is asking others out and acting completely uncomfortable and socially awkward. I've already gone to my supervisor. So be jealous of me today. Really:).
6 comments:
Glad to hear that you have some things to try for Lucy but sorry for all the hard parts for you and her! Weird about that online student. I hope the rest are much better behaved!
Glad to hear it's all treatable. On a positive note, there's a good chance she won't have to do the whole inhaler/medicine thing for the rest of her life. A couple buddies of mine who were lifetime inhaler & med's users for their asthma/allergy/respiratory issues managed to almost entirely eliminate their prescription med/inhaler usage with proper vitamin supplementation and an all-natural supplement specifically for respiratory issues containing acerola cherry, cinnamon, and Spanish needles. Great, great results, so when Lucy gets old enough for swallowing tablets, it'd be worth looking into to see if she gets the same relief. Talk to you soon about Summer trip plans! Best to Doug & the munchkins!
Just so you know I always read your blog. I love hearing about your life and what you have been up to. I am so sorry about Lucy. If it makes you feel any better, I have a brother who had crazy bad asthma as an infant. My mom would have to pound his back all night so that he could sleep and he had to be on crazy drugs too. However, the older he got, he got better and better and now it completely fine. He was really active in sports and they think that might be why he got better because he got stronger. I hope she gets better for you and I am so sorry you have to go through that. As moms we always want our kids to be healthy and not have any health problems. Keep us posted on your cute little lucy!
I'm glad that the doctors figured this out for you much sooner than they did for my Andrew. We just went through this ourselves. I have taken him into the doctor so many times over the past years about his cough. You can imagine the guilt I felt when they asked me how long he's had the cough and I told him five years.
We also did the breathing treatment at the doctors, then onto an oral steroid, and inhaler 3x a day, and singulair, and an antibiotic. I felt like a nurse dispensing all his meds.
He is like a different child now! I hope that it is the same for Lucy. Thank heavens for modern medicine and doctors who know what they're doing!
Oh Tara, this does not sound fun at all for Lucy or for you! I am glad their finally getting to the bottom of her eternal sickness and that it can be managed with medicine but still, not fun! Sorry that you guys have to deal with all this.
Wow. Well i am glad you know what it is that makes her so sick and can do all you can to help her. I hope she continues to improve.
Post a Comment