Monday, April 12, 2010

Pink Eye and a Negative for Strep




I feel like my kids are falling apart. The evil guy, Rasputin, in the movie Anastasia, has all sorts of limbs and eyeballs falling off him and that's how it feels to be with my family right now. Lucy's most recent blessed sickness is almost 3 weeks old, and has involved a runny nose, a fever at one point, a violent cough that often keeps her up at night and now raging pink eye--the finest case our doctor has ever seen. Well done, Lucy. Admire her picture close up by all means. You'll never question whether your kid has pink eye again:).

I got Isaac checked out as well because our family doctor friend checked his ear on Saturday and thought Isaac was just getting over an ear infection. I also looked in Isaac's throat and his tonsils were almost touching so I wanted the doctor to look today. The result: Yes, Isaac is probably recovering from an ear infection, and his tonsils are very impressive--complete with pus, so the doctor ran a strep test. The test came back negative and the doctor said that the kids should not be contagious after they begin taking the drops (Isaac will be taking them just in case and I will too.) Later on: we've been taking the medication and that means I'm "enjoying" wearing glasses for the next few days. The above "crazy lady" picture of me is taken after my first run with glasses on in a LONG time.

I have a couple problems with health care that I feel compelled to vent about now. We saw this same doctor a few months ago and he said we should try Zyrtec for Lucy in case she had allergies. That brief visit cost us $95 out of pocket because we didn't have insurance yet. He said today that he only made the suggestion because it's hard to tell parents that their kid will probably get 7 viruses during the year. Grrr. If I were rich, I could afford health care that I really completely trusted, instead of going to doctors in their residencies. I am SO grateful for our family doctor friend, who is in his residency, because he has come over to our house several times to check our kids and has prescribed medication for Lucy without charging us for a visit--that has been an incredible blessing. But I just want the best help for my kids and I am SO frustrated that Lucy has been sick since November. Later on: I called the billing department regarding our check up and it turns out that my Blue Cross insurance is completely useless until we spend over $3,000 for health care. I hate health care. I hate health care, I hate health care... We'll be paying $95 for this visit as well. Plus the $20 check-in fee. Revert to my above refrain...

I know I'm complaining--it's just hard not to see the light of day or hang out with friends because of sickness. I've had to miss church and not fulfill my callings to stay home with kids and so has Doug. And our poor daughter has had something wrong with her for 5 months. It just completely stinks. Who wants to feel lousy for that long? I know I'm a broken record regarding my frustration with sickness in our home, but I was unaccustomed to it until November and now I'm the champ of trying to be patient, loving, and make the best of things.


The highlights of the doctor's visit: finding out Lucy weighs almost 28 pounds and Isaac weighs almost 40! Who knew they were growing in the midst of all this sickness? Also, I should be able to go to Utah tomorrow, based on the doctor's comments. And Isaac was absolutely incredible at the doctor's office. I attribute it to a Sesame street show on PBS a few days ago centered on visiting the doctor. Good work, Isaac.

Speaking of work, I have done a little work preparing to teach next Tuesday--I have created an instructor bio and an introduction to the class, and I need to send an email out soon letting the students know that their online English class will be intense and participation-based. I'll see if I can scare anyone off with the reality of what's going to happen:). I just finished Pride and Prejudice yesterday and I really feel like it is a brilliant, informative work. Even the boring parts, where I know exactly what's going to happen, or the parts where she is a little redundant, are necessary to read because every line of published text from Austen is significant. I love that woman. And I hate health insurance. Amen.

6 comments:

Decker and Christine said...

I am so sorry you've had to deal with sick kids so much. That's no fun when it's right on top of the other like that. Could it be something ridiculous like too much dust or pollen in the air circulation of the house? I get VERY bad allergies when it's time to change the air filter. You've probably thought of that, but wouldn't it be great if the answer would be as simple as a $15 filter from Target? :)

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Yes it would, Christine. I'll check on that. We've been meaning to look at it and have forgotten. Thanks.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

An amendment: I don't have air filters because I don't have central air--I was thinking of the filters in our AC units--which haven't been touched since September. But I'll remember to change them when it gets warm in Pocatello...in June.

lindsay said...

Sick kids are the worst. I'm sorry you've been dealing with it for so long. I agree that one of the worst things is that you can't interact with friends and you feel inactive at church. We've dealt with the same thing this year. Hang in there. At least the weather is getting warmer so you can spend more time outside, right?

Jenn said...

I would like to say amen to your hate of health insurance. We have "good" insurance and they still always get it wrong. I am still on the phone all the time about my ER visit back in January. annoying. Also, comparing sick kids to rasputin is awesome. you rock.

Natalie said...

Sick kids are the worst and you have had more than your fair share...... hang in there!