Thursday, January 14, 2010

Grateful on a Sick Day

It's almost obligatory to count your blessings when your kid is sick because you're stuck at home and you need to remember good things. So here they are, as they fly into my head:

1) I'm grateful for my hot, fun husband because he understands me and loves me and makes me laugh. I love that we have been reading "Hunger Games" together and I had such a blast playing racquetball with him last week. I won twice and he won once, but I may as well throw out there that he played left-handed until I reached ten points--the game ends at eleven:). I actually wanted him to play with his good hand sooner because I was so impressed. But he also had to play with the horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad racket during the games I won. I hate the bad racket! (Okay, back to gratitude...)

2) I'm grateful for my love of writing and reading. Life would be so boring for me if I didn't have those two gems in my life. My grandma doesn't like to read or write and she's just bored.

3) I'm grateful for Doug's big muscles, and therefore his ability to rearrange our bedroom so our new computer can fit in here. He redid the room while I went to playgroup with Isaac yesterday. Can I just report that there is no way on earth that I could have rearranged our room by myself?! (I'm not 100% grateful for the computer, because I hate spending lots of money, but I appreciate its speed--lots better than our laptops.)

4) I'm grateful for down time during the day. I'm trying to convert that down time into a work out in the immediate future.

5) I'm grateful for my clever family. Doug and I speculated over what would happen to our Sheide family members if they were put in the hunger games, and then, after we circulated our respective fates to fellow Hunger Game-reading Sheides, Marshall decided to concentrate on our motives--what would possess each of us to go into the arena? Hilarious. (Not for you, if you haven't read Hunger Games. So do! It's so interesting and cool!)

That's probably enough for now. But oh, WHY do our children have to get sick?! Lucy has had a cold and cough for over a month and a half, with very infrequent, brief periods of okayness. Yesterday, she launched into a fresh, cough-terrible cold. My poor princess.

2 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

My kids are FINALLY not sick any more. I may actually do a full post on our silver lining from all the vomiting and diarrhea I dealt with (BOTH of them going #2 in the toilet!?). I really enjoyed the Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Dustin read Hunger Games after me and he enjoyed it, too. Maybe we'll read the third book together! Great idea!

Jenny said...

Hi Tara,
I'm excited that you will be teaching this spring! Is it online or on campus? I've only been teaching online since the kids came along, and I found it was pretty manageable when I just had one kid. I'd usually only work during his naptime, but this past spring I hired a girl from church to come over one afternoon a week for a couple hours to babysit so I could get my work done. I'm not teaching this semester, so I'm not really sure how it would work with two kids yet! Good luck with your class!