My grandpa passed away at 11:03 p.m. on Thursday night. It was a day full of inspiration and special memories.
I wasn't planning on going to Utah on Thursday. But after a longer and more focused-than-usual scripture study Thursday morning, I talked to my sister on the phone. She had just gotten to my grandma's house and my grandma was crying and my grandpa hadn't recognized anyone or been lucid since Monday night. And he hadn't eaten since then. Peanut's husband had taken work off to watch their kids so Peanut could be with my grandparents. I had heard that Grandpa wasn't doing well, but I hadn't realized it was that bad.
I hate driving for over an hour (particularly alone with my kids). I hate being away from my husband. I hate watching my kids without Doug and I had to cancel exciting date night plans for the following night. But I knew I needed to go to Utah, even though I thought my grandpa would be fine. He has had three close calls in the last year and I thought this would be the same way.
When I got to Utah, I left my kids with Peanut and headed over to my grandparents' home. My grandpa was just lying on the bed, not looking so good. I fed him Gatorade from a dropper and wet his mouth with a sponge-lollipop, and tried to sooth him when he got agitated. So many family members sat or stood around my grandpa and visited, aware that things weren't going so well for him.
His bible study leader came over and offered a beautiful prayer and I got to have a special conversation with my uncle about our Savior, Jesus Christ, and about our shared faith.
I went home and took a walk with Peanut and spent time with her family, and then we got a phone call from my mom, who had just gotten off the phone with my cousin Amy, a nurse. She was with my grandpa and said he was only taking about 4 breaths a minute. My mom offered to pick Peanut and I up (it was about 11 at night) so we could go back to be with grandpa. In Salt Lake and Orem, the rest of the Sheide members were also leaving their homes to come be with grandpa again. Some had literally just gotten home.
Before we all got to my grandparents' home, my grandpa passed away. Amy, who had felt impressed that she needed to get out of her evening shift to come be with grandpa, read Psalms 23 (my grandpa's favorite scripture) just before he passed away. My grandma, who had been changing into pajamas, arrived in the room just in time to see him leave his body behind.
My family members all trickled into the home after that. And we sat and cried and laughed and told stories in grandpa's room. We felt so much love and were excited for my grandpa, who is finally able to dance and sing and see and remember.
I love my grandpa, and I cherish my memories with him--particularly cuddling next to him on the couch in Minnesota as he read me story after story with great expression. Peanut and I wrote Grandpa's obituary and then left it in other peoples' hands to correct and revise as they pleased. But I love a line that Peanut wrote. "Bill had a mantra that 'everything will work out alright' and it did!" I am grateful for my grandpa.
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Psalms 23:6).
9 comments:
Tara,
I'm so glad that you got to see your grandfather one more time and spend special time with family members remembering his great life. How wonderful that you will be with him again some day!
We love you!
I'm so glad you were able to be with your family and see him before he passed away. I remember all of the wonderful family bonding moments at Grandpa's funeral and how much it meant to me to be with the whole family.
Thank you for sharing you love for your grandfather with all of us. I know you all will be with him again. I hope this is a healing time for your family members.
Tara, you have such a great outlook. I recently lost my grandpa as well, and it was such a hard thing for me. I hope you are doing okay.
It's always hard, even when they are old.
Tara, your post made me tear up a little. What a beautiful moment that you could have with your family as your grandpa passed on.
I'm so sorry for your loss, but you have such an awesome outlook. That was beautifully written, don't ya just love the gospel and that it makes it just a little easier to get through things like this. Take care babe
Tara,
Hi!! What holy ground we have all been walking on the past week. I love you and your family. And as I remember grandpa, Bill today , I have been reflecting on his profound life lessons to all of us ... I have been thinking about writing something like " 10 life lessons from the happiest man we know" . I am sure we could come up with so many more ... Love you!
Cyn
I am glad you made it to be with your grandpa that Thursday. We were in Utah all last week for my Grandpa's funeral. He passed away on October 14th. It's sad to let go of a loved one, even one that has lived a long and good life.
Post a Comment