Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Week Left of Law School

Good job, Utah. Way to provide beautiful weather yesterday. And the day before that, when I thought it would be too cold for protective sunscreen. I was wrong and I am now a lobster.

And good job to Doug, who'll be done with law school in one week. Holy cow! In honor of the annoying Frequently Asked Questions we all read with less enthusiasm than we might feel while viewing an info-mercial on how to clip fingernails, I'll provide some FAQ's.

Can you believe that Doug is almost done with law school?!
Nope. It's flown by, probably because we moved every summer for Doug's internships.

What kind of law does Doug want to practice?
The answer changes almost weekly. But currently, he'd like to clerk for a few years, then work as a prosecuting attorney, then work as a defence attorney. The man likes criminal law. And he wants to dive in the second he's done with his clerkship.

Where are you guys going to live?
In Pocatello, Idaho for the next two years, and hopefully a few more after that. Then I gravitate toward being with my family in Utah and he gravitates toward Idaho Falls, Idaho.


You guys have been so busy. Who's days have been longer and harder, yours or Doug's? Depends on the day.

So what are you going to do to celebrate?

Doug and I are going on a 3-day/2-night getaway to Salt Lake to eat lots of food and hold hands a lot:). Without our glorious children.

And I need to be indulged for a few family-isms. Mine are embarrassing, Doug's are typical, my kids' are precious.

Today, I said, "pronunciating" instead of "pronouncing." And a few days ago, I mentioned "accruements" instead of "accoutrements" when referring to toppings that go on ice cream. Embarrassing. Thank goodness Peanut was there to correct me both times.

And some Isaacisms:

1) A few days ago, he asked for some Chicken cheerios. It took me a minute to figure out what he wanted. Can you guess?...

Corn flakes:).

2) When Isaac gets in trouble, I tend to say, "Oh, son," in a very disappointed voice. So Isaac helped me out after giving Lucy a fuzzy heart-shaped pillow with feather boa stuff all around it. I let him know that the pillow was just for Isaac and Lucy was too little to play with it. "Oh, son," Isaac offered.

3) Isaac is not remotely close to being potty trained. But because of his annoying poop-in-the-crib thing, I've been begging him to "make poo-poos" before he goes to bed. Last night, he sat on the toilet and pushed and pushed, following all of my suggestions so he could touch the toilet paper and flush the toilet. Nothing came out, but it was funny.

Doug: The man can't help giving gifts the second he buys them. He knows we're on a tight budget, but he couldn't resist buying a couple little golden books for Isaac (The Jungle Book and Peter Pan) and gave them to Isaac the second he got home a few nights ago...instead of for Easter, which would have felt financially justifiable. The end result is that we'll get another one or two for Easter:).

And Lucy:

1)The little girl has had mondo cradle cap, so we followed my upstairs neighbor's advice, using Baby Oil, a little baby brush, shampoo... then a comb because the baby brush didn't work... And Lucy's hair is now completely disgusting and greasy. Love the girl, sad about the hair. But the cradle cap looks better. The baby oil is dissolving her hair ties, by the way. SO weird!

2) I get little pamphlets from WIC that tell me about my baby at 2 months, 3, etc. So I read the 5-month pamphlet yesterday, which suggested that I hold Lucy in front of the mirror, point to her and say her name, then point to myself and say, "Mommy." We did this little activity for maybe 5 minutes and it was delightful. Lucy couldn't get enough of it. When she's happy, she opens her maw as long and wide as it can go, and it's precious.

So this was a long one, and I hope you had snacks while you went through it. To reward you for being so diligent, I'll divulge a secret... Um... Isaac just started picking his nose and eating his boogers. We're so proud.

4 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

HURRAY FOR GRADUATION!!!

We're still pretty far from that point. So, that means I'm quite jealous.

Oh, and "Chicken Cheerios" is really funny...and clever!

Kate Johnson said...

Wow! Way to go Doug and Tara. I can't believe you are almost done with law school. My first thought was, "Oh, that must be so nice." But then I started really thinking, and I like the fact that we still have at least one year, and probably three if Daniel specializes, to have to make the very grown-up decision of, "Where in the heck are we going to live?" Sounds like you two have delayed this decision for little while as well.

I love the updates on Isaac and Lucy. Good luck with the poo poos, chicken cheerios, and booger snacks.

Miss you lots!

Jami Jackson said...

The end of one road and the start to another. I am excited for you guys! Congrats to Doug!

I loved reading about your kids. They are darling!

Good luck with the move and I hope you can come back to Utah!

McArthur Family said...

I second everything Katie Johnson said. Congratulations on making it to the finish line! Now a new race begins.

Will I get to see you at Daniel and Adrienne's wedding reception on May 9th? It's up Provo Canyon. I'm coming out for it and would love to see you guys!