Saturday, January 5, 2013

Christmas Magic, New Years Resolutions, a Birthday, Basketball, Snowy Yard and House--the Abridged Version

My goal is to blog once a week as a family journal, so I am not neglecting important details. I'm not achieving the goal, obviously, but I still love this blog, and do what I can.

Christmas:
Christmas was divine. If anyone in the world was dreaming of a white Christmas, their dreams came true in Highland, Utah, where my family stayed for Christmas. Enjoy the pictures of family, particularly as the kids decked themselves in adult-size snow gear, and before and after our family nativity on Christmas eve.




He was Joseph.

Baby Valley

Lucy was a donkey--but she was a beautiful bride donkey, because her cousins knew she would want to feel beautiful.

Isaac and Summer, one of the angels.

Mary riding the donkey bride.

You can see my dad and Tommy in the background. My dad's recovering from his hip surgery, so this is one of the few times he was out of his recliner or bed. Tommy and Grandma were here through the whole Christmas vacation. This was awesome!

Another Joseph pose

You can see "Ticket to Ride" on the table, and Shauna's amazing gingerbread quilt she made for my mom last year. Amber, Shauna quilts like you do--no pattern, just a whole lot imagination and beauty!

The Nativity gang. Blake was a smashing baby Jesus.


I should mention that Doug went to Arizona a few days after Christmas to be at our nephew Emory's baby blessing. Doug also had his moles and a wart zapped off by Brad, our oral surgeon brother-in-law, and bought my mother-in-law's silver Hyundai Sonata. Then he drove it back home. It is beautiful, and I was so thankful that Doug got some fun family time and came back home safe and sound. In Utah, I loved getting to spend time with family (duh) and playing "Ticket to Ride: Europe" and watching Les Miserables on the big screen. Anne Hathaway blew me away in "I Dreamed a Dream." I don't think I have ever seen better acting in my whole life. There was power in that movie! My favorite gift I gave was the first 12 pages of my memoir to my mom, sister, and grandma. They all read it, and we agree that it would be awesome to have 12 pages of life from the people around us!

New Years Resolutions:
I like having them, and working toward them.
So here they are:
1) Spiritual: Complete my personal progress (a Young Women's book of service and spiritual development)
2) Physical: Run a half marathon and a full marathon and/or
3) Physical: get to work on having baby #4!!!!!!! (and try to accept the terrible sickness and discomfort that accompany pregnancy with grace)
4) Family: Read to my kids every day--scriptures and children's literature
5) Family: have quality Doug time every day
6) Mental: "Finish" my memoir and resume fiction writing
7) Mental: Be fully dependable and loving in my work

We'll see how I do with all of that!

My Birthday: 

My birthday was yesterday, on January 4th. I should have taken pictures, because it was an adventure filled day. I worked at the Apple in the morning. Then I volunteered with Isaac's class. Then I read for pleasure, ordered the last Wheel of Time book (with my mom's gift card) and got a nap! When I woke up, I baked my own cake and made dinner, and then we had a little family birthday party. It was wonderful! Isaac told Doug to get me a necklace and Lucy asked him to get me earrings, so I have a beautiful heart shaped necklace that says "Mom" on one side and "I count every hug from you in my heart" on the other. And my earrings from Lucy are very bling. Doug got me a beautiful black sweater and a pretty button-up shirt, and some lotion and perfume, so I was decked out for my birthday date last night! We went to Sizzler and then went to see The Hobbit in 3D (again, with gift card help). I loved the movie, but I want to take a break from 3D until it feels absolutely necessary (like it was with Avatar). I hate wearing glasses, and feel like I miss the whole, clear picture when I wear them. So my birthday was wonderful. Happy 32nd birthday to me:).

 Basketball:

Isaac is playing basketball this winter, and Doug is the assistance coach. Isaac had his first game today and scored 6 points. I was shocked and very proud of him. He cannot dribble, play defense, pass the ball, or rebound anything except for a "made" basket from the other team. . . but the boy is all about getting to the hoop. It was lots of fun.



This is Brookie and Isaac on the way to the basketball game.

warming up for the big game

Isaac celebrating that he made a basket

and shooting again

I love the smile

And shooting in the big game--it went in!

Snowy Yard and House:
And I have finally posted outdoor pictures! You can see the front of my house and my yard. And my bookshelf, which has my wedding pictures prominently displayed. In one picture, Doug and I are clicking our heels--Isaac thinks we were so happy that we were flying. So true:).
So here's my backyard, if you look to the left. My kids were playing in the snow.

Here's the view strait back. Our back-door neighbors have a gym and huge in-door pool, so that's our view. Not the view of my dreams, but I do love having great neighbors all around me.

And I just took out my Christmas stuff from my bookshelf. I wish the picture was closer up. Oh well. We are clicking our heels in the top right shelf:).

And here's our house! I hope we live here for a long, long time!

So there ends the abridged version of the last few weeks of our lives.

4 comments:

Steven and Rylie said...

Glad you had a good holiday. Wow, thinking about baby 4 : ) Yesterday, Reese was fighting hard to be the baby of the family forever. She has been fighting a cold and didn't get a decent nap. She did give me a superb kiss last night though so maybe I will consider it a future day.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Brooklyn fights hard to be the baby of the family every single day. She's a high-maintenance little darling.

sarahflib said...

Love the recap, Tara. Your house looks so great. I dream of having that big of a backyard. :)

jessica said...

I love your home. It looks so nice and new! I can't wait to see it and you in real life. :)