Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Heart Full of Love

Last Friday, December 14th, was a big day in the world. A young man killed 20 first graders and 6 adults on that day in Newtown, Connecticut, and my sister gave birth to my precious niece, Valley, in Utah.

This afternoon, I read through some of the obituaries of the people who died at Sandy Hook Elementary, and mourned for the people who lost family members. The children are so beautiful, and I know they are missed. While I am thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which makes it so those precious children can live forever, and be happy, that doesn't take away the hurt of right now.

Yesterday, Peanut had to take Valley back to the hospital because her temperature was at 95, and wouldn't go up. Poor Valley has an IV attached to her head, pouring antibiotics into her (just in case she has life-threatening menangitis) and she has had several failed attempts with IV's, catheters, and spinal taps, because she is so tiny (6 pounds, 4 ounces at birth). Peanut will have to stay at the hospital at least through Friday morning, and we all just want Valley to be okay and get to go home, healthy and happy.

[UPDATE: Peanut and Valley get to come home tonight (Thursday) because Valley has upped her temperature. Wahoo!]

She was a "kind-of" high risk baby because she only had two of the three blood vessels in her umbilical cord. The statistics for still-borns with two vessels is really high, and so she was watched closely, and doctors decided to induce two weeks before her due date because the still-born statistics went up the older babies are when they are delivered. But the nurse and Eric delivered her, and she was healthy! It was a miracle and a blessing, and then it was so hard for Peanut to have to go back to the hospital with the fear of menangitis.

Life is precious. I love the gift of time we have with our loved ones, and I hope to show my love so there is no question that you know how much I love you and am thankful to know you and care for you.









2 comments:

Jenn said...

She is SO pretty! I feel for your sister--we had to take Grant back a week after he was born because he had RSV and it was so so hard. I cried everyday to see him hooked up to so many machines and I.V.s. I'm glad she finally got to bring her home. And all I can say about Sandy Hook is that it was a hard time over at our house and I think every house in the country. It's unfathomable to me.

theshimmysheides said...

Really touching, Tara thank you. It's much better reading about Valley now when she's doing so well. It's the first time I've gotten specifics. Thank you.