Holy cow, what a day!
7:00 am: Doug prays with me and heads off to work. I drift back to sleep.
7:30: My alarm wakes me up, and I don't want to get up. But kids have dentist appointments at 8:10, and I know they'll be tough to get out the door.
7:30-8: Both of my children cry as I get them ready. Lucy doesn't want her hair done and Isaac doesn't want to get up, or go potty, and cries at the idea that he may not get breakfast, even though I have assured him repeatedly that I'll feed him in the car.
8:10: We make it to the dentist's office, and proceed to wait. Isaac goes in first, and a lady explains my new, very-much-not-as-cool insurance with Bonneville County. Bannock County was better to us. Lucy goes in next, and is an angel. I'm told that Isaac cried and fussed as his teeth were checked. The kids have no cavities, get little toys, and we leave the dentist's office.
9:30: I think I have a doctor's appointment at 10 am, so I rush home, throw more food in front of the kids, and take a fast shower. I shuffle the kids into the car, thinking, "I thought my doctor's appointment was at 11 am..."
9:45 I check my planner. My doctor's appointment is actually at 11, so I take the kids out of the car, and tell them we have another hour before I'll take them to their friends' house to play.
9:50 I remember that someone called in the last 20 minutes, and I should check the answering machine. Much to my dismay, I hear a realtor saying he'd like to show my house at 12. I take a deep breath, call him to say that would be fine, and begin to clean like a mad woman.
9:50-10:50 I manage to scrub my bathrooms and kitchen, windex almost every surface, tidy the backyard, make every room look cute, and vacuum while the kids watch Sesame Street. I throw kids back in the car and drop them off at their friends' house.
11:10 I arrive late to my doctor's appointment.
11:20 The scale makes me feel a little sad. Why all the weight gain? Why? I won't blame the bagels, granola bars, pizza, and ice cream. It isn't their fault.
11:30 I have to do a strep test, which involves taking off clothes. During my checkup, my brother, the realtor who was supposed to show my house, and my realtor call me. I can do nothing about it.
11:45 I check my myriad messages and learn that my front door is dead-bolted, so people can't get in my house. Luckily, my realtor called my husband and got our garage password, so all is now well. The people will come back at 12. Why did they come half an hour early!!!!!!?????? Realtors shouldn't do that to people. They also shouldn't stand you up, and that happened to us at least once last month. Grr.
12 I pick the kids up. We grab bagels from the house, and shove them in our faces on the way to Walmart.
12:30 Lucy fusses in Walmart, which is unusual because of the "perfect" system I have created for Walmart shopping.
1: We get back from Walmart, I make us lunches, tuck kids in for naps, and eat some "recovery" ice cream while I do some "recovery" reading in the Wheel of Time series. (I'm in Book 11!)
3: I should start grading papers, as I have 44 to grade by Friday evening but...I'm so...sleepy. I take a nap.
4:30 ish: I take the kids on a stroller adventure to the park. It is insanely windy, but the kids put their plastic cover (known to them as a cocoon) over themselves, so I know they'll pull through.
5:30 We get home and I start making dinner.
6: Doug comes home and we eat together. He has to go to Young Men's at 7, so I beg him to take care of cleaning up dinner and the kids while I start grading around 6:40.
6:50 Doug puts a movie on for the kids and heads off. I grade ten papers, and the kids are perfect about helping me clean up the living room and getting ready for bed. Doug makes a timely entrance and helps get kids ready for bed.
8:30 I go back for a little more grading after putting kids down, and then go to my blog in an effort to share "a day in the life of."
What is missing from my day so far? A scripture study. Need to do that. A workout. I don't know if I'll do that, as it is almost 9:30. It sounds like my husband is listening to victim testimonies to prepare for a trial on Friday, so hanging out with him may be out for the night. There's always grading, but I met my goal for the day, so I may do some more recovery reading...:).
7 comments:
All I could think of while reading about your day is this: YOU ARE FAST! I'm amazed at how quickly you got different things done. Also, props to you for making it to an 8:10 appointment, showered or not. I could never ever do it. Madeline doesn't even wake up until around that time. Well, I guess our CF appointments are always at 8:00 in Salt Lake, but that's just because we don't have a choice about the time.
Wow! I agree with the first commenter; you are fast! If I am going to get out the door with both kids, I have to start about an hour in advance.
And it sounds like your day already gave you a pretty good workout!
Wow, I am amazed your kids do so well on all the appointments, shopping, etc. Kudos to you! And what is your Wal-Mart secret? Besides that, I have to admit I'm insanely jealous of all the sleep your kids get. Lewis is up at 6:20 am every morning and doesn't go to sleep until 7:00 at night. I wish he would take a nap for me...that would come in useful with a newborn on the way.
Sandy, My secret Walmart formula is to use the "train" cart--it has blue seats attached to a cart, so I can use the whole cart. Then, I take the kids to the toy area and let them pick two toys to hold while we're in the store. We get the toys out of a few ratty boxes in the first isle--mostly dinosaurs and plastic turtles. Then, the kids play with their toys for the rest of our Walmart shopping. They typically deposit their toys in the produce area, because I end there. At the checkout, I allow the kids to get out of the cart and play with the toys by the counter. Then, when all the bags are in the cart, they can walk, or hitch a ride on the cart, back to our car. I usually let them eat raisins (or granola bars--whatever I bought at the store) on the way back home. This has worked for me so far:).
Don't worry about the scale Tara. You can't do anything about it. And it eventually comes back off. I didn't believe that until I lost 40 of my 45 pounds with a total of 6 very short runs over 12 weeks. And while my diet is a little messed up, what with no dairy and wheat, I am still eating the calories I need to keep up with nursing my incredibly big baby. Don't be discouraged. You are beautiful.
Don't respond to this Gmail account...it's not the one associated w/ my blog. lol Anyway, OK, you accomplish so much farther along in your pregnancy, and here I am at 26 weeks, barely managing to get dishes washed? Jealous.
you are super woman, no seriously. you should feel great about yourself after a day like that plus being pregnant.
Post a Comment