My front left car tire deflated while I was in Utah this week and I was able to get it patched for free at Les Schwabb. This is a big deal because Doug always resolves our car and lawn care problems. So I'm proud of myself for talking the Les Schwabb people out of charging me $14.70 (thanks to my handy knowledge that Discount Tire and Auto patches for free) and I'm grateful to Doug for typically dealing with this stuff.
The left tire is also jacked in my running stroller--unfortunately, I'm our stroller handy (wo)man, so I get to deal with that.
Our microwave is almost completely broken--who knows of a cheap, delightful microwave or microwave brand that lasts forever?
Our internet modem broke TEN days after the warranty expired for it.
Our camera won't upload pictures to our computer. Why? Why? (Never mind--Doug just reminded me that I'm supposed to insert the memory card, not plug in the USB thing--problem solved.)
Two gallons of water broke in our storage closet, so the rest of our water has been transferred to the laundry room.
A rug we've had in Isaac's room for months smells horrible. I moved it to the laundry room and it has made the laundry room smell horrible. Doug wants to chuck the carpet; I want to save it.
This has been the shortest summer of my entire life--only two months of warm weather and people here are praying to thank Heavenly Father for the moisture we have received and the cooling temperatures that mean the farmers can harvest their crops in a timely manner. How can I compete with farmers in need of a good harvest?
My payer would be: "Dear Father, we both care about those farmers. Help them have a great harvest in spite of--nay, BECAUSE of--85 degree weather for the next several months." I have been robbed of my summer because the warm weather didn't come until June 20th here. Robbed.
And my half marathon will be next Saturday and I'm getting the pre-race jitters. I would love to run the whole race, but I'd have to convince my running mates that this is a terrific idea. One is on board and the other probably isn't. I'd love to run another race soon. That way, I can see how I run alone, compared to how I run with friends. I'm hoping I'd be a lot faster without friends. I need to work on speed training for my next half marathon.
We have actually stayed within our budget this month (and this is admittedly in part because we slipped two expenses into next month's budget.)
School starts for me on September 9th, but I'll have a lot of training and prep time before that and Doug has a trial that will consume his time this week.
And so...things fall apart. We bust out the patches and try to make due. And when things get annoying, we can look at photos of children, post real "whining" posts, and somehow pull through. I put the laughing picture of Lucy in here, even though it is a few months old, because I know it will be embarrassing to her later on. That's as chunky as I've ever seen her look, and I love the missing teeth. She's truly scrumptious. And Isaac is truly awake in his room, because it has suddenly become incredibly cool to stay awake in his room for way too long. Whining off...
5 comments:
My vote is with Doug- get rid of the rug :-).
Chuck the rug. I say this despite the fact that 3 stinky rugs are about 50 feet away from me, rolled up and getting even stinkier in our laundry room. I am dispensing advice I cannot follow.
Tara, thank you for reading my blog! You make me feel so good, seriously. I think you are a wonderful writer yourself. I am so impressed that you write poetry, in addition to other fiction.
I am sorry that you were robbed of summer. Come back to Virginia! Or at least Utah!
Whining off was a hilarious ending!
I hope that all your falling apart things get replaced with fabulous things.
Frustrating about the break-downs. I hope you get some beautiful fall runs in. Do you get pretty fall colors in Idaho?? If not, I think it is time to seriously consider relocation to land of the 2 month long winter...ie...North Carolina.
I personally quite liked this post. I don't like that things are not coming together, but that you talked about it and made me feel like my often-falling-apart-around-me life is pretty normal and that's good. I will trade you weather right now. I can't take the heat. I think I need to move again to cooler temperatures. Please tell me that this is 1. because I'm pregnant, and 2. going to pass because the winter will be awesome? Also, craigslist is great for microwaves (people often move into places that have them built in and have to get rid of perfectly good ones). Okay that's my long comment for the day.
Post a Comment