Monday, August 2, 2010

***Revised: Coming Off an 11.2, Speaking in "Whine", Idaho State, An Anniversary

My follow-up from my last post: the fast-food traveling weight came off and my husband returned from his camping trip. Thank goodness a steady traveling Oreo-McFlurry diet did no lasting damage. Thanks for your awesome thoughts and ideas! Also, I misplaced my scriptures ******and Doug found them last night! Wahoo! And on to my latest news and thoughts:

I've been training for a half marathon that will take place on September 5th in Pocatello. As I was finishing up an 11.2 mile run with two of my friends on Saturday, one of them said something to the effect of, "Why not just run the marathon instead of the half?"

After that run, as I walked around with my blistered pinky toe, a sick (dehydrated?) stomach, chaffing on my sports bra line, and lactic acid build-up in my legs, I debated whether that was such a good idea. I still don't know if we are going to do it. I told them that if they were in, I was in. But we're not ready. We've got a month to go until the race and we'd have to do some insane, time-consuming runs to feel "more ready." I'll keep you posted. ***************My friends decided we should stick with the half marathon and we can train for the marathon in St. George in May if we feel like it/aren't pregnant.

The good news is that I am not pregnant:). I didn't know that when we discussed running the full marathon, and it's nice to know I don't have to worry about that any more:). It would have been an accidental pregnancy with okay timing. It would have been nice for spacing between my kids and having a kid in the spring (haven't done that before), but it would have meant canceling the half or full marathon, or running REALLY REALLY slowly. Now I'll run really slowly without worrying about a baby in my belly.

In other news, my daughter speaks in "whine" a lot lately. My son feels betrayed when we turn off the TV or let him know it's time to do something he doesn't want to do. I don't usually waste my time thinking other people handle their children perfectly, but my patience is running thinner than I feel like it should. I have been reading the General Conference Ensign articles, and I have loved how they center on the family, and about what I can do as a mom. I come away from the articles feeling like I need to spend quality time with him, and that will help. Yes, I already do that. But if I pray about how to do the things that matter most with my children, I know I'll feel guided.

I made a hasty choice that means I won't be teaching at Idaho State in the Fall. A lady in the English department emailed me less than a week ago to see if I was still interested in teaching for ISU because there were a few classes available. Because I'm contracted with BYU-Idaho to teach in the fall, I said "No thank you, but keep me in mind for the future because I would love to teach for ISU in the next few years." I sent the email, then called Doug about it. He reminded me that it would have been better if I'd talked with him about it first, before sending the email. I probably could have been paid a lot better for teaching at ISU, and consulting with your spouse about life choices is always a good thing. So I'll do better next time:). I'd love to teach face-to-face, so I'm keeping ISU in mind and the lady in the English department is keeping me in mind.

Lucy woke up, so I'm almost done:). I look forward to reading blogs in the next few days--I don't know how I haven't caught up with my BYU-Idaho class being done for the summer! I'm reading a lot, playing hard, running, and looking forward to a weekend getaway with my husband in a few days. Sorry that my children aren't perfect, Shauna, but thank you ahead of time!!!!!!!

4 comments:

The Qian Family said...

It's so interesting to hear of your experiences. I have learned that discussing things with William helps...a lot. I've done similar things, where I react too quickly, and then think "Oh why didn't I wait on that?". But, live and learn! How are your writing projects going? I need to email you cuz I have so many questions!

BexxT said...

Marathon- don't do it. Not after having trained just for the half. I don't know anyone who didn't injure themselves when they trained for the half and did the full instead.

On top of that your body isn't used to the extreme pull of nutrients from your body that you will have to endure. People gradually build up to this- and they spend months figuring out what their body needs as they run.

Most everyone can run a half marathon and not die. A very small percentage of people can run a full- and people die all the time. Several collapsed while I ran mine- people who were running slow and taking it easy. 13.1 miles is rough. 26.2 can kill you.

Please, please, please don't do it. Train for another 6 months, building up to 20 mile runs, and then do it. (or at least 18) Because even after 20 miles you STILL have 6.2 miles to go (60 minutes of running if you are keeping pace). if you only train for up to 18 miles then you have 8.2 miles to go- and those are the hardest miles in the whole race.

Please.

Matt, Amy, Grant, Tyson, and Palmer said...

Tara you are so cute!! I'm impressed with the half marathon run, nice work. I am so excited you get a weekend getaway with your hubby!!!

jessica said...

Fun update! That is so great about the ISU offer. It will be nice to have future options. Have fun on your anniversary getaway!