Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Welcome to Our Home!

If you've ever wondered what parts of a mouse the neighborhood cat will not eat, look no farther than our front door. Doug went to get the newspaper this morning and was greeted with the head and entrails of a mouse, with blood smeared across our porch. Isaac and I better understood the terrible tragedy as we read Cinderella and identified Lucifer's perpetual desire to get the mice and eat them. For those of you who get morning sickness, I'm sorry. For the rest of you, I am practicing creating tension and using description.

I love my English class! Seriously, there is nothing cooler than getting to "take" a class I love, get paid for it, teach it (which means I get to serve 19 extra people in the world), and prepare myself spiritually because I have more people relying on me than I did before! I feel more accountable. I am more self-aware. I battle between a) reigning in my micro-managing tendencies, b) trying to be compassionate, c) desiring not to put students off by letting them know how appalled I am at their grammar, and d) not talking all day long to them because I have so much to say!

Lest you start thinking, "Gee, maybe I ought to go out and teach for BYU-Idaho as well. That sounds so cool!" I need to inform you that my son is babysat for 2 hours every day by PBS Kids. If you don't want your kid to be babysat by the television, it is probably best not to teach online.

Actually, I do want to let you know that BYU-Idaho is still accepting applications. I think there are about 130 online teachers right now and Matt Sanders, the director of online studies, wants to have about 300 by the end of the year. Not all of those 300 will be teaching then, but they will at least all be in the "talent pool." BYU-Idaho is growing and this is an exciting time to jump on board. You need at least a Master's degree, and teaching experience is important. Plug done.

I really do love what's going on in my life.

But.

I want to kill the weather. I've become one of those boring people who obsess about the weather. I have figured out that 8 and a half months of the year are crappy weather days in Pocatello. Doug says he's going to move tomorrow, and I hope he invites me along. Seriously, it's May. Feel free to complain with me if you're living in my neck of the shivering woods. With 34 mile per hour winds. Or if you're in Alaska. You can complain all the time if you live there.

2 comments:

the coldest little family said...

Funny you should include us way up here in the north, as we had a couple rare days with some sun....it seemed incredibly and almost unbearably bright out there. You are such an incredible lady and I'm so impressed with how together you are! BYU-I doesn't need any long distance Biology teachers does it? My girl already LOVES her PBS shows!

Jenn said...

Your class sounds awesome. I wish I was one of those cool english majors that was really excellent with grammar, but unfortunately all I had were ideas and the love of writing about famous authors. Also, I am with you about the lame weather. That's why I'm moving to the beach. Hate me if you must (but I did update my blog because your comment made me realize that I had left everyone hanging. Which is definitely not cool.) Thanks for the reminder. :)