Saturday, June 27, 2009

From the Self-Obsessed Files of a Hypochondriac

My mom said the swab test the pediatricians use has not been very reliable, and Peanut's pediatrician admitted as much. The pediatrician didn't even do the test on Haven, just told Peanut that Haven had swine flu. So we're going to go ahead and say we've got swine flu. Everyone else has it and our collective symptoms match theirs.

Our current, glorious symptoms are as follows:

Doug: sore throat, very little voice, cough, a cold, fatigued, bad chest pains went away yesterday (which is such a relief because he just had pneumonia a few months ago and the chest pains were a part of that).

Me: sore throat, very little voice, cough, a cold, fatigue (like I was crying while I fed Lucy tonight), mild chest pain, feel like I was run over by a slow-moving, cushioned truck. My fever is gone, even though I still feel glassy-eyed and have achy joints.

Isaac: sore throat, cough, it looks like the cold went away (Wahoo!), fever went away (HORRAY!), starting to act more normal although he's had an enormous amount of TV in the last few days to help him through potential cabin fever.

Lucy: Our little sweetheart held out the longest. She just had a cold for over a week, but today she's got a cough as well. She's still smiley and eager to eat all of the food in the entire world. No fever yet.

If we could just buy humidifiers for every room in our little home, that would be great. Isaac has it for now.

And an angel came to our house today. I KNOW I shouldn't go anywhere public, and I shouldn't have done it, but we were running out of supplies. I hand-sanitized and went to a store. I won't say where so you won't hate me because you went there today as well.

While I was gone, Peanut dropped by homemade lasagna, bread, and pudding for our little family. She dropped off the food, kissed Isaac on the top of his head, and left. As our mom would say, "Bless her little pointed head!" I have no idea where my mom got that expression, and I assure you that my sister's head is not conical.

I'm jut hoping we can survive this gracefully and quickly!

4 comments:

Valeri Crockett said...

Wow girl, you guys got hit! I'm so sorry!!! I call having a kid sick hard and when the parents are sick too. . .survival of the fittest. We are praying for quick recovery for everyone of you. That was so great of your sister. I hope you all get good sleep tonight;) Don't hesitate to ask me to run to the store for you if you need something. We also have a humidifier we'd love to lend you!
Val

Flora said...

Tara - so sad you and your little family are so sick! And your mom saying, "Bless her little pointed head" is so funny! MY mom says the same thing!

jessica said...

I'm so sorry for all of you and hope that you all are able to recover soon! Love you all!

Jewel-e said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are ALL sick! Nothing worse than sick kids and a sick mom! Hope you are on the mend quickly!