You know how stray comments and events seem to find a common theme?
Doug and I passed a blue convertible on our stroller-ride yesterday and I mentioned that my friend had taken me to prom in a car like that. Naturally, I didn't know the prom-car make or model when Doug asked. Marvelling at my lack of knowledge, he leaked the sort-of theme of this post, "What DID you think about in high school?" (The answer is: boys, friends, sports, music, fun, church, family, reading, work, Minnesota, and a little bit of school:).)
So how does that link to the absolute whooping I experienced last night as I played racquetball with my neighbor? She beat me four times in a row. In about half an hour.
And how does that link to my struggles with potty training Isaac?
And my conversation with Peanut about our respective interests while we "ran" a 5K at my dad's school on Wednesday?
Trust me, it all fits together.
I can look down memory lane at the energy I put forth in all my pursuits and I come away concluding that I was a passionate Renaissance woman who didn't stand out in anything except English. And as a friend. And, man, when I wasn't comparing myself with other people, I sure had a blast!
If that's who I was in high school, then who am I now? And how am I doing? (This is the actual theme of the post:).)
I'm generally pretty happy and I have had a blast all my life. Comparisons have always been my struggle. So if you're a little like me, and things seem to be going really well in your life unless you look sideways at the people around you who seem to have more going for them in various areas, shift your focus back to the goal!
And what's the goal? I thought about that last night, and appreciated that the gospel of Jesus Christ gives me a concise answer: Eternal progression and happiness. And that works for me.
3 comments:
I like your reflections Tara. I don't think anyone wants to know what I thought about in HS. A little too crazy :)
Interesting post. I've recently thought a lot about myself in high school since I'm in the YW presidency now and want to relate to the girls and motivate them to make good decisions. It's been a testimony builder for me to see how the choices I made then (both good and bad) have made an impact on my life now. It's been good to reflect and make sure I'm on the right track still.
Tara,
If you want a self esteem boost in the raquetball area, play with me!
Post a Comment