I know this post won't be as interesting as the other two I just posted. Still, I'll persevere.
Tonight, my blog is my journal, so here it goes:
D.J. (Stands for "Dear Journal" and I've started my entries this way since I was about 11 years old.)
I have had a glorious last few days. Doug and I elected to celebrate his graduation by ridding ourselves of our children for 48 hours. No offence to the kids, but we wanted to hang out the way we used to before we were Mommy and Daddy. Before we felt strapped financially. We price shopped Vegas hotels for several days, then decided to stay in Salt Lake so we could spend less of our getaway driving. We then price shopped Salt Lake hotels, picked two fun ones, and got tickets for the Utah Symphony. Then we waited and waited and waited and then it was time to go on our trip!
We left the kids with Peanut and my mom, and hoped for good things for all of us. The kids did well and my mom was a complete saint. But this trip was not about the kids, so...
1) We went swimming and hot-tubbing.
2) We saw Wolvering and The Soloist, both of which we'd recommend, but Wolverine needs to be seen in an awesome theater and The Soloist can be seen on your TV at home after you rent it from your nearest Redbox.
3) We got to see Broadway singers sing Broadway songs with the Utah Symphony and were completely blown away. An insight into our different personalities: I felt completely awestruck and motivated to work harder at the flute, piano, and writing, to improve myself and strengthen my abilities and make a difference in the world. Doug felt awestruck and therefore motivated to make a lot of money so he could get season tickets to the Symphony and bring his kids to sit in the front rows and be inspired close-up.
4) We ate SO well. We recommend the lunch buffet at Little America, breakfast at the Marriot, and the lemon meringue pie at McGrath's. We LOVED McGrath's--a great discovery for us.
5) I brought my neighbor's pump along for the trip, and nothing bad happened for me or for Lucy, so for those of you who would like a getaway but worry about your little babies, maybe my experience is useful to you. (I feel myself forgetting that this is a journal entry and not a blog, and apologize...and move on.)
6) We shopped:).
7) I dragged Doug to the Church History Museum.
7) We went to the temple and were again blown away by the beauty and sacrifice there.
It is incredible to hang out with your best friend without time constraints or responsibilities. I'm so glad I married my best friend. And it's a perk that he's hot and in love with me.
In all seriousness, I have so much to be thankful for. Most of the sorrow in my life has been self-generated and Heavenly Father has given me my lifetime to spiritually prepare for the sorrows ahead. I want to be strong and warm and loving and generous, and I'm grateful for the heroes in my life who teach me what that means.
2 comments:
Hurray for a get away! Ben and I don't take many. In fact, since our honeymoon, we had one weekend over a year ago (eight years and four children into our marriage) then a week in January. It is so nice to have a little reprieve, especially knowing the kids are safe with people who love them. Ben's mom and sister watched our kids while we were away and the kids were excited for their "vacation from mom and dad." Ah, the little things in life...
PS Darling pictures of Lucy!
I am so glad that you and Doug were able to get away for a couple of days! Daniel and I are going to have to try that.
Your little Lucy is such a cutie. And it is true-you don't choose the nicknames for your children. They are born with them!
Post a Comment