A) Isaac sort of loves "Baby Lucy." About 65 times a day, he'll go over to her bassinet and say, "Hi, BAY-bee Lucy!!!" He is delighted when I hold Lucy close enough for him to touch her and he loves giving her kisses all over. He'd like to climb into her bassinet and shower her with all of his toys, but we've created some firm rules about not giving toys to Lucy and not touching her unless Doug or I have given him permission and we're watching. So far, we haven't had any disasters.
When we first brought Lucy home, Isaac would cry, "Hold you, Mommy!" every time I picked Lucy up. If Lucy wasn't starving, I'd put her down and scoop Isaac up, showering him with kisses. (Speaking of showers, I have showered every day since Lucy's birth. Isn't that awesome?! Here's what I do to make that happen: that's right--I contain both of my children, and keep one pleasantly distracted.)
If I need to feed Lucy and Isaac gets clingy, I invite him to come sit right by me so we can read a story together.
Isaac's more adjusted now, so he doesn't always ask to be held when he sees me holding Lucy. I try to make Isaac feel INCREDIBLY special so he knows he isn't being supplanted. That translates to getting him from naps without Lucy in my arms so we can cuddle together, and putting him down for bed without Lucy there. We give lots of kisses and praise Isaac for being kind to Lucy. So far, so good.
And B) Having two kids is okay so far. I don't mean that the institution of being a mom of more than one is just okay, but the daily adjustments and juggling acts are working out to be okay. My happiness and sanity hinge almost completely on how much sleep I get. Doug offered to be the shift #1 guy, so he has Lucy until midnight. I take it from there, with the understanding that he'll help out if Lucy gets really hard. This has worked out really well so far because Lucy's pretty easy. Again, I know better than to assume that things will be great for the rest of her infancy. Still, I'm enjoying the sleep I get. When I had Isaac, I'd count how many hours I got of sleep each night (the numbers were very low) and I'm not doing that this time because I get so much more sleep than I did with him.
The only real frustration at night (so far) is that I have to feed Lucy ever 3 hours (doctor's orders, based on how much weight she lost in the hospital, and then her slow weight gain as of the 6th day of her life). So I have to wake my sleeping baby for 90% of her feedings. It completely goes against my inclination to wake a sleeping baby. And I'm not perfect about the every three hours thing. In fact, I asked the nurse for permission to cheat at night time if I wasn't getting enough sleep. She said I could fudge, but not by very much. So I'm hoping Lucy's doctor appointment on Thursday goes well and we get off the every three hour thing. She is REALLY tiny to me, so I don't know if we'll get the go ahead to stop the scheduled feedings.
Here's how she sleeps:
And here's how she plays: (I took this picture about 20 minutes ago, so it's as recent as you can get):
7 comments:
She's such a cutie!!!
So I just read all the books you've read this year and holy cow you've read a ton!!! I really admire how much you love reading and your critique of them all. You are amazing!
Thank you thank you thank you!! Seriously, I was hoping you would really answer my questions, and I know how busy you are, so I really appreciate it! Sounds like you guys have a plan and it sounds like it's working! I also have to say that she is beyond adorable with all of that hair. I know everyone says that, but it's true!
Oh she is so beautiful, sounds like you are adjusting well to two kids, adorable I might add!
Congratulations guys! She is beautiful - I love her hair! Two kids definitely takes some adjusting, but it is nice to have a baby again! Sounds like you are getting the hang of things! Way to make sure Issac feels important and special!
Tara Bowen, why is it that my son has approximately three hairs on his head, and yet BOTH your little darlings were born with full heads of hair, huh?????
You are such a wonderful mom!! What a cute little girl you have too. Your hubby must own like twenty bats now and have them in every room and car to prepare for the days ahead!
I love how Lucy has all the hair like Isaac did, she's beautiful.
Post a Comment