We haven't yet made it a tradition to go to Arizona once a year in the winter, but we really should. We headed down to Sun City, Arizona several days before Thanksgiving and had a blast. I got to run in a tank top and shorts, and even though I'm sure I looked silly running with my enormous belly, I was very happy. How can you not be happy in 70 degree weather in November, with palm tress all around you?
We got to play with Doug's entire family, excepting his sister Jessica's family and his dad. I was in charge of mashed potatoes and raspberry cream pie for Thanksgiving and I am pleased to report success with both ventures. I have never yet hosted a Thanksgiving dinner or made a turkey, and I'm okay with not having done that yet!
The kids did well enough in the car that I have nothing to say about that part of our experience. Doug was our driver the entire time, which worked well for both of us:).
One of the highlights of our trip this time was getting to watch incredible movies. We loved "Catching Fire" and "Frozen" and encourage everyone to go see them. Doug and I deeply love Idina Menzel, who provides the voice for Elsa, the snow queen, so watching Frozen was a truly stunning experience. We downloaded all the music from it and have listened to it often. I rarely go to expensive movie theaters, so it was a big deal to go to two within a week of each other. We even splurged and went to Frozen a second time--the financial strain was softened when my mom paid for the tickets and Doug bought our snacks.
That's another great perk of going to Arizona--we can stop at my mom's house 4 hours into our journey. So we can head south on Friday, stay and visit with my family, and drive on the next day. We did the same thing on the trip back, and I loved getting to be with my family. It was even better because I knew I'd get to see them in just a few short weeks!
When we got home, we switched gears to Christmas, going out to get the first "real" tree of our marriage. It's a great fir, and it smells heavenly. The kids started decorating it, and then Doug took over. Our house really does feel magical with stockings hung, bannisters garlanded, nativities and gingerbread houses everywhere, Christmas music playing, and snow outside. It is bitterly cold outside, but it so warm in our home.
The next few weeks will be a bit of a whirlwind as I grade argument essays and finals before we leave on the 20th, and make sure I finish up my shopping. I'm pretty close to finished, but I'm just not an eager shopper. I don't love long lines or spending money. I promise I love the people I get gifts for--but it's an extra act of love to buy gifts when shopping isn't my thing. I'm thinking of a an extra project for my loved ones for Christmas, and I wonder where I'll find the time to do it.
To catch the spirit of Christmas this year, I have been reading the book of Luke in the Bible, and I have been reading "Daughters in My Kingdom," the Relief Society history book. Both books are helping me feel enlightened and more generous. In addition, our family is reading a collection of Christmas stories my mother-in-law compiled, and we're singing Christmas songs and sharing scriptures. This is a good season.
I feel like it is kind of the calm before the storm, because we know our world will be rocked by getting a new baby, and facing job uncertainty right after paying for said new sleep-depriving baby. I just want to savor this last 2 1/2 months with my family before our family expands and life changes.
Love,
Tara
No comments:
Post a Comment