Wednesday, August 22, 2012
On Being Prophetic
On Saturday night, I was on a little walk in my neighborhood. I love walking at night after I put the kids down when the weather is so warm and the nights are so peaceful. I mused about my next few weeks, and thought of Marshall (my little brother) and his wife, Shauna. Shauna was due to have her little boy on August 23rd--which is tomorrow, and only one day before my mother-in-law comes for a visit. . .and then there are only a few days until Isaac starts kindergarten. I know first-time moms usually have kids late, and I was frustrated as I examined my future schedule and foresaw that I had little chance of meeting my brand-new nephew unless. . .
I called Marshall and got his answering machine. I requested that he become a father that night, or on Sunday afternoon at the latest, because my only window of time for a Utah trip would be within the next few days.
Marshall and Shauna were in their car on the way to the hospital when I left my message, and Marsh didn't answer:). Shauna had a rough night, but her life became beautiful when she finally got an epidural, and she had her sweet little Blake Marshall Sheide while I was at church. It took me an hour after church to pack up the kids and hit the road, and I got to see and hold Blake every day for three days. I returned home this evening.
Blake is precious. He is a sweet little cuddler, and he sighed contentedly on my shoulder last night, necessitating many interruptions in conversations so I could say what sweet little Blake had done. I love this little baby and feel so blessed to have met him on his birthday. He is so completely a part of our family, and he has such incredible parents.
During my little Utah trip, I was hit quite a few times with the feeling that I want to live by family. I always feel that way, but it just felt within my grasp this time. I thought, "All Doug has to do is switch jobs, and we could be here." But Doug also needs to have a license in Utah, which I think will happen in the next year and a half--because there's reciprocity betwseen Utah and Idaho after five years.
It's only dream land, because Doug could have a great future career in Idaho Falls, and we could live here for the rest of our lives. The people are incredible and we have found ways to survive the dumb winters. But Peanut needs help with Summer for half an hour once a week, and I just think, "That would be so easy for me!" I'm always stuck when I have something I need to do, because I hate imposing on my friends by dumping my kids on them. I'm a big fan of reciprocal kid-sitting, but it's hard to find a great situation.
I tihnk I might feel this more because I've been gone so much this summer. Maybe being uprooted a little has made me feel more inclined to leave.
I loved my Utah trip, and seeing my incredible college friends Lindsay and Val was a definite highlight in there as well!--I just feel a little too far away now.
And I'm prophetic, so watch out:).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hear ya girl! I know if we lived close the babysitting swap would be a regular thing with us. I hate asking my friends too. Love all your pictures and your goal to write a book is perfect! Keep the dreams alive Miss T! Love ya:)
Oh what a sweet little man! And I love that first picture of your mom. I feel this way sometimes too. But at least you're within driving distance!
Hey Tara thanks for your tribute to my sweet little guy and for getting great pictures of him. Marsh and I made the mistake of being too tired (proof of the Marshall half asleep pict you have) and happily obsessed with Blake himself to get many pictures and than Marsh took the camera home by mistake the next day. So i'd love any pictures you have. Blake asks about you every day :-). I think it's because of the ice cream you gave his mom :-).
Post a Comment