Saturday, January 7, 2012

We're Committed! And I am Working on Being a Better Mother

Doug accepted an offer to work as an associate in a firm called Smith, Driscoll, and Associates in Idaho Falls. It is three blocks from his current job, and it feels like it will be a great move. Doug has wanted to move into the private sector, and now he gets to. He's excited, and I hope this will be a good experience for everyone.

I seriously think we're in a competition with our past to see which year will provide the most changes and excitement. It will be fun to write our Valentine next month, because there's a lot to say, as always.

The last thing I want to write is that I have felt like a failure as a parent, and as an individual, of late. Isaac is sometimes sneaky and dishonest, and it is frustrating. Example: I told him he needed to clean his room last night, and then he heard his daddy come home. While I turned my back, he began sneaking toward the stairs. When asked why he did that, he said, "I thought you meant I should clean downstairs." He also ignores my directions, like when I tell him to put clothes on so we can go. He'll continue to read or play with toys, and only spring into action when I come back and see that he hasn't done what I asked--and use my stern voice. He routinely "forgets" to flush the toilet, wash his hands, and turn off the bathroom light. That mantra has lasted throughout his whole potty-trained career, and yet he still "forgets" constantly.

Lucy whines and fusses like a champ when she doesn't get what she wants, and she can make life miserable for everyone. For example, she has been testing our limits at bedtime for the past month, asking for last minute things, like that I shut her closet all the way, or tuck her blankets back in, or she needs to go potty, etc. When the needs haven't been met, she has commenced wailing. I am happy to report that she has been wail-free in her room for three days now, thanks to my decision to say, "I will see you when the sun comes up. If you cry and fuss, and pound on the door, you will not get to wear your Cinderella dress tomorrow. If you are nice and quiet, you will get to wear your princess dress!" That has worked.

Brooklyn is the easy one. She is such a joyful little thing. We think she laughs with angels, because she'll look at a blank wall and just begin cracking up. It is particularly, um, terrific, when I'm trying to nurse her. She still does not consistently sleep through the night, but I have so much on my plate that I am accepting the 5:30 am wake-ups to nurse and go back to bed, and I'll deal with it when I have more energy. She slept through the night three times this week, and then reverted back when a baby-sitter put her down. I can blame the circumstances, but I really just hope she'll "grow out of it" like my friends' babies apparently do. We'll see. She had a little milestone today. Before, she could roll onto her back if I rolled her onto her belly "almost" all the way. Now, she can roll from her belly to back all by herself. It's funny to have a baby sit and stand up, leaning against a couch, before she rolls. What a cute little bug. She grabs her feet when she's on her back, and tries to propel herself over, so maybe that will work out for her some day. She is radiant light in my life.

I need to control my temper better with my husband and two oldest kids. I know I have good qualities (Doug reminded me about them last night when I was feeling discouraged) but my flaws are enormous. Honestly, they feel insurmountable. I know my weaknesses can become strengths through God's help, but there's just a lot I need to work on.

So I'm just kind of in a place where I get discouraged easily, and I feel badly when my children act badly. I need increased compassion, and inspiration regarding how to mother well. Any insights, empathy and/or sympathy are welcome:).

13 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

I'm home from church with sick kids, which is why you're hearing so much from me right now :) I feel like you do most days. We just had a fantastic vacation in which I got away from all the stress of daily life for a while. It was exactly what I needed but I'm SO worried about when things get back to normal and my cranky, cranky self will rear it's ugly head again.

I'm trying to figure out how to change my perspective so I'm not so ill-tempered with my family. I think 2012 is going to be the year I try to focus on People not Productivity. I'm hoping that will help me not get so irritated with life.

You're not alone, Tara. Listen to your husband. You have outstanding qualities. It's so easy to focus on the negative. There are millions...okay, a lot of other stay-at-home moms who feel the same. We seriously need to be easier on ourselves.

Vacation officially ends Monday night. Wish me luck!

McArthur Family said...

I'm with ya...I definitely have days/weeks/months where I feel I'm inadequate as mother of a 2, 4, & 6 year old. Then I try to remind myself that this is the first time I've ever dealt with this parenting at this age/stage and I just need to be patient with myself and my kids. I have a great book that is my "go-to" when I have a behavioral issue with my children. It's called "Love & Logic Magic for Early Childhood." It gives me great direction and helps me view these "learning experiences" as just that and not that my kids are bad or that I'm bad.

I love you, good luck, and let me know what you think of the book.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Amber, I've read "Love and Logic", which is probably an older, more general version of your book. I like it, and I think it has been helpful. Now I'm starting "Everyday parents Raising Great Kids" and we'll see if it helps too:).

Natalie said...

Total sympathy! I can relate so much with what you wrote! I have decided: being a parent isn't hard. Being a GOOD parent is infinitely more difficult. It is easy to flush the toilet yourself, give-up on the little things, and let it all slide to survive the day. That is what separates the good parents from the bad: consistency. That is what I am working on right now and it makes me the "bad guy" much of the time. My mantra has become "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to be your Mom." AND "It is my responsibility to make you a tolerable person for the rest of the world." I am all about no nonsense and tough love these days. What a meanie, right?
It's tough, but I can assure you-- if you are the least bit worried about it (which from your post, you are) you are one of the GOOD parents out there. Give yourself a break!
I'm speaking like I am a pro-- far from it-- I received a similar pep talk from my dad last month and it really helped. So, I am imparting his pearls of wisdom, not mine.

Jenn said...

I think I could copy this post word for word and just change out the kids names and their particular issues that they are dealing with. I feel like a parental failure about 75% of the time easily. Sometimes I feel like we are in survival mode for weeks at a time! But I read this article that a few friends linked to on facebook and I really liked how that mom talked about mothering. Maybe you might like it too. It helped me realize that I'm not the only one counting down til bedtime, and what's more, it's okay! It doesn't mean I don't love my kids with all of my heart. It just means I am human and tired. :) Let me find the link.http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/04/2011-lesson-2-dont-carpe-diem/

lindsay said...

I've been feeling the same way. In fact, I just posted about it. I don't know the answers, but I do know somehow we'll get through it and hopefully learn from these challenges. I like to quote Dori from Finding Nemo in times like these. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

BexxT said...

Oh Tara, Kings is finally sleeping through the night (I am crossing my fingers). We've gone 5 whole days of him going to sleep between 7-8:30 and him waking up between 6:45 and 7:30. Before this week he did that maybe 16 times in the last 11 months. I spent 2 months getting up between 4-5:30 to feed him and then putting him back down (sometimes he was kind enough to go back to sleep).

It's rough. But you can do it. And kids are always testing your boundaries, and they always will. Smile, be patient, and love your little boogers for all the good things they do, and love them through the trying times too. You can do it! I know you are a beautiful. loving , caring and talented woman. And it is okay to be frustrated with your family :) it is what helps us grow!

Im sending all sorts of hugs and warm weather your way.

Decker and Christine said...

I have no advice for you, Tara...but I do have a memory of your parenting in action. I remember my over-exhausted 18 month old having a total breakdown in a restaurant (this is after I had already cleaned up an explosive blowout in Lindsay's house), myself being completely unprepared and overwhelmed, and you smiling patiently whilst giving me a pep talk (not sure if I used "whilst" correctly there, but I couldn't help myself). You reached into your bag and brought out about 15 different distraction toys and treats. I think you still had energy to go for a brisk walk with your double stroller after all was said and done. All I was ready to do was roll over and pass out. I was seriously in awe thinking "When did Tara turn into super mom? How on earth can I learn to be like that?!" No, I have no advice for you at all because I think you're already amazing.

alexandra said...

Tara, I love reading your blog for many reasons, one being that I always totally relate to your posts. It makes me feel more normal and understood. I hope you know that you are in good company in feeling discouraged and having a desire to be better. But I know that you are doing much better than you think and that you are a great mom. If you werent you wouldnt care about any of the stuff in your post in the first place.

As for the law firm, is the Driscoll in the name Buster Driscoll by any chance? I went to law school with him and I think he or his wife is from Id. I hope it is Buster because he is a great guy and would be great to work for.

Valeri Crockett said...

How great that Doug is getting into his ideal job and funny that it is so close to the job he has now! Tell him congrats!

I don't know why but this pregnancy has brought out a beast in me. I don't know if it has to do with having a girl...but my poor family and my mood swings:( I am working on being a better mother too....and I am much too hard on myself I'm sure.

Angela said...

If you get any great insights do pass on in regards to pareting! I need help in that area too. Never thought I would yell at my kids...Sadie almost 10 months still getting up 2 times at night. I don't think she will grow out of it. Slowly reducing how much she get in her bottle at night and then once we get down to 1 ounce I am going to let her cry it out! I haven't had a good nights sleep in too long.

Steven and Rylie said...

wow, congrads on the big new job. Steven's job is going well. I will be glad when the transition is complete. We miss Idaho, but the weather has been so nice. Although I guess it has been warm and sunny up there too. It snowed yesterday and we built 3 snowman and by lunch it was gone. Perfect, but it lacks in beauty compared to ID. Good luck with your kiddos. Hey this is our address. 812 Quarter Horse Way, Fernley NV 89408

The Qian Family said...

You have both my empathy and sypathy:) I have days where I think my kids are sooooo lucky to have me, and then days where I feel soooo sad that I'm not good enough for them, by a long shot. I guess both things are true.