When I read the gloomy email I just sent my college friend who wanted to know how Doug and I were doing, I realized I needed some serious cheering up.
I wish finances didn't affect my life as much as they do. But Doug and I set our budget every month and encounter surprises, despite our best forecasting efforts, every month. Last month, it was a tire that needed to be replaced.
This morning, I came back from a misty autumnal run, and Doug reported that he had bad news. He showed me our wet carpet and wet ceiling and let me know a roof repairman was coming in a few minutes. $280 dollars later, I realize that the metaphor "suck the lifeblood out of me" is apt. I've adjusted our budget, and we'll go forward with faith and attention to our wiggle-room-less budget for the rest of the month.
So I'm posting pictures of happier times. Days before today:).
My personal favorites are Lucy in a bucket, Lucy and Isaac sitting on rocks in American Fork Canyon, Cabell, Lucy, and River holding hands on their way to my brother Tanner's football game (wherein he will break his collarbone:( ), and mission reunion pictures. My mission president and his wife are such glorious examples; they're people who want to do what's right, and love all of us all along the way. I also loved spending time with my blogging buddy and former sister missionary buddy, Kat. Our souls were carved in New York City.
A lot of the conference talks last weekend called for gratitude, and Doug and I have been dredging up blessings we don't usually appreciate. Making spiritual lemonade.
6 comments:
I like the title of this post because I've never thought of things that way. I know what you mean about the lameness of budgets and the fact that things always come up. Also, I appreciated your comment on my blog it caused me to give myself a breather, which I always appreciate.
Oooohhhh Tara, I love this idea of making spiritual lemonade. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing your insights and your glorious example! I still remember your women's conference talk and your passion about the gospel. Love you!
You are such a rock to me, and I love me some rocks! I feel your anguish--not the same way of course but I think I can relate to the feeling of "and now this?". When the next thing hits I always feel panic, depression, anger, jealousy and eventually acceptance and resolution to keep going, knowing that things will work out. I feel like the years of this process are taking their toll on me. It just gets harder to get to the "things will work out" stage. But reading about your experiences, and Jenn's experiences and the experiences of others too is a huge wake up call. Life is tough on everyone. Some may have more money, others have different challenges, but we are all struggling and simple solutions can seem soooo far away. For example, I'm pretty sure the bulk of my stress and your stress could be relieved by money. But our challenges are meant to be worked through without that solution--at least for now. But you know what, your still going forward. You are resolute and just reading that you adjusted your budget and are moving on is such a comfort to me. Keep on keeping on, Tara because when you move on you help others keep moving too! I love rocks.
It's been forever since I've been on your blog - or anyone else for that matter. What a pleasant surprise to see my parents' shining faces with you when I pulled it up! It would have been so fun to see you!
I totally know what you mean about trying to stay positive. I'm having a pretty hard time with that right now, too. Life is tough. I'm going to try to remember to make more spiritual lemonade.
Such cute pictures (especially Lucy in the bucket). Sorry to hear about the craziness going on for you guys. I hope it clears up soon!
O how I understand the budget..... will there ever come a day when every choice doesn't seem to be dictated by money? I got an email from a friend about the joys of coupons and all the money she saves. I'm not on board yet, but considering it because we need to find a better way to stretch things. Interested? Or, do you already do the coupon thing?
Post a Comment