Sunday, August 24, 2008

From Little America to an 11.5-Hour Separation


Life was SO good a couple days ago. Here you see happy, happy Tara at the Little America pool.

But the smile is waning. I have been SO grouchy with Doug for the last hour because he is going to start BYU law school tomorrow...without me...without Isaac...I feel left behind in the dust!

As we all know, school provides structure in the form of classes and deadlines, and I have to invent my own structure; I am no longer paying an institution to create structure for me. So I get to figure out how to live my life while Doug is living his for LONG hours of the day. I'm just not completely pumped about it. I've set some goals for the "semester" which include spiritual study, secular study, and service. So these, coupled with daily work-outs, will create some structure to go along with my fun.

I'm just not ready for Doug's life to be so structured. This past weekend, Doug and I went to Little America in Salt Lake to celebrate our anniversary while my mother-in-law watched Isaac for us. We had such a blast. It became a game to use all of the objects in our way-too expensive room, so here you see Doug enjoying our meal with a shower cap on--naturally:). Does he look British to you? We couldn't resist British accents while we swept through our self-guided tour of the Grand America, and as we checked out our awesome room and the lobby and pool areas of Little America.


A fun anecdote: Being pregnant helps me get away with certain things. For example, Doug and I grabbed Cafe Rio take-out on our way to Little America and we ate it in our rooms. Neither of us could eat more than half of our meals, and Doug was ready to chuck said delicious fare in the garbage. Not I! I contacted the hotel operator and informed her that, as a pregnant woman, I would need to put my food in some hotel fridge so I could eat it later. I got to put my food in the Bell-boy fridge, and Doug and I ate a marvelous lunch the next day:). Yeah, pregnancy. The cherry on top of this delectable event was that I was quizzing Doug about whether or not I make him a better person WHILE we were eating our Cafe Rio for lunch. He looks down at our food and replies that, without me, he wouldn't be eating Cafe Rio. Who could ask for a deeper, more sincere answer than that?



Doug will be gone from 7-6:30 tomorrow, and I plan on spending our separation usefully and having a blast while I'm at it. Because what else can you do when you don't get exactly what you want?

8 comments:

Kate Johnson said...

I am there with you, Tara! After more than three weeks of having Daniel 24-7, I was definitely not ready to have him gone from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. Hang in there! Sounds like you have a good plan!

Julia Kelly said...

I love your posts! Your very witty and love your writing. How fun to get away from the norm and enjoy time with your hubby.

McArthur Family said...

Oh, the picture of Doug...so funny!

If you are feeling like going to the park at 10:30...wait why are you in UTAH! We miss you!

Jami Jackson said...

OH, the days of school taking all day!! I totally know what you mean about having to make your own structure throughout the day while Doug has structure made for him. It kind of stinks, but hey, you can be creative if you want to! I actually see LESS, yes less, of Jon now that he's working and out of school. His schedule is just so packed right now. It's crazy. But I guess we're at least making money now to pay off our mountain of school debt. Yikes! Well, good luck to you and Doug. We should get together some time.

Catherina said...

Hello,
just updating you on the mini gettogether tomorrow at the park. Having to cancel it this time. Too many couldnt make it. Just making sure you dont show up and no one is there.
BUT, i do want to see you some time. We will have to play...like you said:-)

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! You crack me up. Oh I wish I could eat some Cafe Rio, and I am not pregnant. I know how you feel. No fun not having our hubbies in our life huh? I guess someday we will feel it is totally worth it. How are you doing girly? I miss you? How is your pregnancy going? I am sure that you are cute as ever!!!

Just Us said...

Those sound like the words of a lover of school, just like me. I am always jealous of university students because I loved school and books and feedback about how genius my ideas were. Nobody tells me how incredible my stain removal was on Friday. So I'm still pretty bitter about that. Scheduling is hard for me because I like to be spontaneous. But goals are great. Hence my goal to be spontaneous. This allowed me to randomly paint my bathroom today. See, I got something done...just not the dishes... :) P.S. I need to visit BYU soon and take a trip down memory lane. I think that might include a tomassitos pizza and bad freshman hair, game?

jls said...

Leaving WV for Utah? SOOO LAME!! ;)
Ok, but understandable, all at the same time.
Your entries seem so cohesive and actually make a point. I think mine wander here and there and everywhere until I decide, "OK, I like this," and move on. Plus, you have Isaac updates, which are also pretty awesome.
NOW, all we need is an entry about a little baby girl.....soon, soon.